Options for protection training?

Bambi92

Hi all 

bit of a back story as to why I'm asking this question first:

I'm now living on my own with my son I'm actually very fearful of being alone it causes my anxiety to go through the roof which isn't helping my case at all.... On Sunday a male has approached a group of kids in the street behind me and followed them he hasn't been caught yet... And this morning I had a male walk through my front yard and he yelled at Dozer telling him to shut up because he was barking at this guy for walking through my yard (my front yard isn't fenced and I live on the corner of a main road) people are always walking through my yard but no one has ever told my dogs to shut up I've had people hit my side fence and bark back at the dogs they were school kids.

Dozer is trained to chased people out of his territory which he has done previously and is trained not to leave his yard. He is friendly as can be to anyone unless he doesn't like them which is rare and if he doesn't like them there's a reason for it.

Sasha isn't trained to do any of that sort of stuff she knows her basics and a few other tricks. She is very wary of strangers and will bark like she wants to kill them even if they are just walking past. I don't know how she would react if someone was to break in to my house she's inside at night.

Questions:

1: what can I train them to do if I ever needed them for protection of any form? Keeping in mind I wouldn't put them in danger if the person has a weapon I'll throw myself in the way before my dogs got in the way.

2: would you teach a dog to bail someone up on command? Dozer has done this previously but not while he was with me.

3: am I able to do any of this without a professional trainer? I don't exactly have the money for a trainer now that I'm paying out everything on my own I can hardly afford to feed myself let alone a trainer. 

Any my help would be very much appreciated.

hi there Laura, sounds like you're going through a rough patch.  :huskyhugs:  xx

I would tread very carefully.  The potential for things to go wrong with that kind of thing would be high.   last thing you need is a lawsuit against you for someone getting bitten and possibly ending up having to get one of your babies pts. 

I can understand why you're feeling anxious right now, if you feel it's been going in for some time and is affecting your quality of life or getting out of control contact your GP.  You can get help in many different ways, not just drug therapy.  

Also, I would wonder if anyone would be foolish enough to try and break into a house with a snarling, barking dog waiting for them?  That to my mind should be a big enough deterrent in itself.   Why risk getting bitten in one house, when there are several others close by that don't carry that same risk?   

I second looking up the laws in your area and see what you can and can't do.  I used to know someone in a pub who had been broken into twice and now had a baseball batt at the side of his bed.  It's a sports item essentially but the intent behind it was enough to classify it as a weapon.  So you have to have a good read up of what's lawful.  

Edited by Emma

Have no idea just wanted you to know we care x be safe x advice I can givd though is look at the law, it is changing here in blighty where we can be in troubke if our dogs attack even if person breaking in (laws an ass) 

thank you :) 

ill look into the law see what it says.

hi there Laura, sounds like you're going through a rough patch.  :huskyhugs:  xx

I would tread very carefully.  The potential for things to go wrong with that kind of thing would be high.   last thing you need is a lawsuit against you for someone getting bitten and possibly ending up having to get one of your babies pts. 

I can understand why you're feeling anxious right now, if you feel it's been going in for some time and is affecting your quality of life or getting out of control contact your GP.  You can get help in many different ways, not just drug therapy.  

Also, I would wonder if anyone would be foolish enough to try and break into a house with a snarling, barking dog waiting for them?  That to my mind should be a big enough deterrent in itself.   Why risk getting bitten in one house, when there are several others close by that don't carry that same risk?   

I second looking up the laws in your area and see what you can and can't do.  I used to know someone in a pub who had been broken into twice and now had a baseball batt at the side of his bed.  It's a sports item essentially but the intent behind it was enough to classify it as a weapon.  So you have to have a good read up of what's lawful.  

thanks Emma. I've had to deal with anxiety and depression since I was 13 it's hard but my animals are really the only thing that helps me. :) 

ive had someone open my side gate one night luckily Sasha was inside and Dozer chased them out. Lately this area has been having a look at problems with things going wrong it was a great family orientated area when I first moved here but now it's a bit scary. 

Ill have a look in to the laws and see what they say. I have a baseball bat under my bed and a cupboard full of swords if I needed them. I don't really want to use them but if it means protecting my son and animals I'll do it.  

• 3 weeks later...

K9 train (south) and have an excellent reputation. But expensive. Worth checking them out as they may b able to recommend some near you. Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk