Hello Everyone!

Ray&KristenGarcia

First off, a BIG thank you from my wife Kristen and I for the information on here from previous posts. We took on the husky below, Zeus. Boy, was it a wake up call. Quickly realized that he is smarter than any dog I have owned previously. Potty trained in about 2 days. Vocalizes when he needs something. A baby. And trust me, my wife and I do our best to spoil him as such. He's about 10 weeks now. He loves to play with other dogs. He loves to say hi to everyone. I think he would leave us, if we let him -_-. He's really good on the leash since we walk him everyday for about 20-30 minutes, is that too much? He screams like we're drowning him when we bathe him. Are huskies normally that way? Is there anything we can do to help that situation? There I go, asking a million questions. Doing a lot of learning on the fly but enjoying the ride, most definitely. My wife and I were planning to have a baby in a year... but the way he occupies our time... I am not so sure about that! haha. Anyways, just appreciate all the questions and answers that have been posted here. Seems like a great community to follow. Glad to now be a part of it and share my experience!

ZEUS_3.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome he is adorable!

The general rule of thumb is you can do 5 minutes of exercise per month of age until they are full grown, so for a 10 week puppy I would say to keep it closer to 15 minutes at a time.  You, can of course do multiple walks throughout the day, but keep each one around 15 minutes or so.

For bathing, huskies are a generally clean breed and don't need to be bathed too often.  I only bathe mine if they have gotten into something.  They don't really get that doggie smell either; they clean themselves a lot like cats do.

welcome_hus.thumb.jpg.ae3e3c8c00ca94fee0  TO  4_logo6_(1).thumb.png.870a81e1a271d5c26c

Welcome he is adorable!

The general rule of thumb is you can do 5 minutes of exercise per month of age until they are full grown, so for a 10 week puppy I would say to keep it closer to 15 minutes at a time.  You, can of course do multiple walks throughout the day, but keep each one around 15 minutes or so.

For bathing, huskies are a generally clean breed and don't need to be bathed too often.  I only bathe mine if they have gotten into something.  They don't really get that doggie smell either; they clean themselves a lot like cats do.

Thank you to you both!

Okay, so maybe we should just split the walks? Now is that just the walking aspect? Because we generally walk him for about 10 minutes, stop at the dog park and have him play for a while, then walk him back. So how should we split that up? Or is that fine since he is exercising a different way by just playing?

Yeah, we have only bathed him once because he got into some bushes. He's a puppy. He's always trying to get into something. Feel out his surroundings. But when we acutally do take him a bath, is it one of those "Do it and get it over with, he's going to scream anyways" things? Or is there a way to get him more comfortable in them? Appreciate any help you may provide.

I would include the walks and dog parks as exercise, and keep it closer to 15 minutes at a time.  As for the baths, he probably just has to get used to them maybe?  None of mine particularly like it when I give them a bath, just try to reassure him that it's ok, and talk calmly and a big treat afterwards ;)

I would include the walks and dog parks as exercise, and keep it closer to 15 minutes at a time.  As for the baths, he probably just has to get used to them maybe?  None of mine particularly like it when I give them a bath, just try to reassure him that it's ok, and talk calmly and a big treat afterwards ;)

Okay, makes sense. He has a TON of energy. But, when he comes home after all that, he PASSES OUT cold. He sleeps pretty well through the night because of it. But when I get up for work at 5:30, he's ready to go! We will try and find a way to spread it out more though, thank you.

Yeah, we definitely try and talk him down. It's pretty funny because my wife will speak to him and he CRIES and CRIES like she's going to help him and then I talk and he's so quiet and just tries to get out like "Welp, I'm on my own here." haha. We did give him a treat, so we'll see how he does the next time.

Thank you! Your dog, Bear, really caught my attention. What is he mixed with?

She's a beauty isn't she.  Battersea dogs home said they thought akita and tbh she looks very much like some of the ones I see on a rescue page i've got on facebook.  Markings, colour pattern, size and facial expressions are very similar.  :)

She's a beauty isn't she.  Battersea dogs home said they thought akita and tbh she looks very much like some of the ones I see on a rescue page i've got on facebook.  Markings, colour pattern, size and facial expressions are very similar.  :)

Oh yes she is. I would have guessed German Sheppard by the mask and all I have to go by is the picture too. But wow. Is she smaller than the average Husky or just about the same size?

First: welcome

Kato loves the water but hates bath time, and since he is pure white I have to bathe him more than he would like. I found it easier for him to fill the tub up and turn off the water. I think running water is what scares, off course he still wants to get out but he doesn't whine/cry or squirm about. He just sits and when he sees a chance (ie. I let him go or stop scrubbing him) he runs for it. 

Oh yes she is. I would have guessed German Sheppard by the mask and all I have to go by is the picture too. But wow. Is she smaller than the average Husky or just about the same size?

She's much, much bigger. Both in size and build. Weighs around 42kg at least! She's the size of a bear. I agree she does look like she has GSD in her, in all honesty we can't say for sure what she is exactly.,,except she's a dog! Lol.

First: welcome

Kato loves the water but hates bath time, and since he is pure white I have to bathe him more than he would like. I found it easier for him to fill the tub up and turn off the water. I think running water is what scares, off course he still wants to get out but he doesn't whine/cry or squirm about. He just sits and when he sees a chance (ie. I let him go or stop scrubbing him) he runs for it.

That's a good tip! I will try and do that the next time. How high do you fill it up? Like closer to the top or more like just a big puddle for them to feel easier about it? Thank you ALL for the welcomes as well! Glad to be park of the pack!

She's much, much bigger. Both in size and build. Weighs around 42kg at least! She's the size of a bear. I agree she does look like she has GSD in her, in all honesty we can't say for sure what she is exactly.,,except she's a dog! Lol.

You should do one of those DNA tests and find out. If you ever do, please let me know. I would love to know.

You should do one of those DNA tests and find out. If you ever do, please let me know. I would love to know.

I have considered doing one of those someday but for now she's our little mystery.   Here's a photo of her in more detail.  She was about 1 year old here, she's grown bigger since then, lol.

bearwolf.thumb.JPG.60e20f3072d835c88c4a0

Here's a more recent one......

096_(Copy).thumb.JPG.836d10140543245f98e

080_(Copy).thumb.JPG.8e02c0c627c43852d37

Edited by Emma

Hello :)

Welcome to the forum!

I've had my first husky for just over 2 years and I've never bathed him, he smells gorgeous and never looks dirty :)  Huskies have a really strange coat and don't smell like your average dog even when wet, unless of course they roll in something :)

I have considered doing one of those someday but for now she's our little mystery.   Here's a photo of her in more detail.  She was about 1 year old here, she's grown bigger since then, lol.

bearwolf.thumb.JPG.60e20f3072d835c88c4a0

Here's a more recent one......

096_(Copy).thumb.JPG.836d10140543245f98e

080_(Copy).thumb.JPG.8e02c0c627c43852d37

Is the tongue in that second picture even real? haha. So long! She's beautiful.

Hello :)

Welcome to the forum!

I've had my first husky for just over 2 years and I've never bathed him, he smells gorgeous and never looks dirty :)  Huskies have a really strange coat and don't smell like your average dog even when wet, unless of course they roll in something :)

Thank you! I am slowly learning that he bathes himself furiously at night. Like he can't go to bed without a bath, from himself. haha. That coat, not really looking forward to the shedding! :o But I'm sure I'll grow to love the frequent brushes.

One of the downsides is that they shed, shed and then shed a bit more. It's a good idea to get them used to being brushed and that they enjoy it.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk

As of now, he seems to have a problem with it. Hopefully a little big of training (and treats...) will show him it's not all that bad.

I usually fill it up halfway to his legs, just enough for him to soak his paws and the area he uses to dig. I get a cup or bucket and use that to pour the water on him. When water gets dirty, I just drain it and fill it up again but it hardly gets that dirty since huskies typically clean themselves. The bathe is just to get the stuff he missed and do a deep clean since he likes to dig and roll around dirt or chase a rabbit under my deck.

With brushing, when Kato first done it, I got him really tired first(usually a walk then a bit of playtime), let him lay down while chewing on his favorite toy, give him a bit of massage especially around the ear area since they love it and they start to calm down then start brushing. Massaging a dog is great so he can get used to being handled by the vet and groomer. Focus on the paws cause that is one of the place they do not like people touching. Just gently massage it so they can get used to it.