New owner

Arya2015

Hi all, my husband and I rescued our lovely Husky yesterday from the humane society. So far she is pretty well behaved and very lovable! The staff at the humane society didn't know her background story so we are sort of in the dark. She is 3 years old. We bought her a Kong but she doesn't show any interest in it, even if we put food or peanut butter in it. Any recommendations? We are both very excited to welcome are girl into our family! 

Welcome to the pack!  Give her some time.  She may need a few days to maybe a few weeks to really get settled in.  Don't rush her, and let her come around on her own terms and in her own time.  We rescued our Eisa four years ago (she crossed the Rainbow Bridge a week ago), and it took about a week and a half for her to settle in.  She never got the idea of a Kong though.  Be patient. Once she realizes she is in a loving and forever home, she will relax a bit and things will smooth out for her, and for you.  Kudos for giving her a second chance.  Our Eisa was the a wonderful Husky. I think she appreciated us over the shelter, but it took her awhile to give us her trust.  You will do fine.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :wave:

like Mazz said, it might take a while to settle down and feel relaxed enough in her surroundings to become more playful.

Ice never got the idea of the kong, he just chewed right through the end and bust it open.  :o

Edited by Emma

Thank you again for all the feedback! I did have another question, granted we only have had her for 2 1/2 days. Arya is very calm and mellow. She only jumps around when we come home from work or when she knows she's getting a treat. Otherwise she does not appear to be very hyper, like what we were researching. When we take her for walks/runs she goes rather slow and sniffs other dogs but doesn't show interest. I'm wondering if Arya being so mellow is normal for a new rescue dog or did we just get a very mellow Husky? Or once she gets used to her new home she'll become more hyper active? Thanks :) 

Edited by Arya2015

It could be a few things.....

She's still very new so her true personality hasn't emerged yet.  However huskies do have different personalities and levels of hyper.  Maybe she is just a more chilled out dog, especially as she's a bit older.  Time will tell.  :)