Running help/question

Arya2015

Hi

My husband and I rescued our girl last week from the humane society. She is 3 yrs. She is beginning to run when she's outside instead of only walking. When she runs it is rather hard to keep up with her since she's quite fast. I feel bad falling behind and ending up pulling the leash inevitably. Are there any long leashes that can help with this problem? Or any suggestions if your husky starts dashing and you can't keep up?! 

Also, she enjoys getting food and treats out of her KONG. Does anyone have any luck with other stuff like the KONG. I've researched other treat givers/toys but just wondering if you've had any luck with others? Thanks again!! Just trying to make my girl happy!

I am not a runner and could never keep up with my guy if he is running so we walk. You will never find a leash long enough to keep up with him running, lol. When we are on a walk and he wants to run or pull, I keep the leash short and close to me with little room for him to run.  His time to run is in the yard or dog park, not during a walk.  If you are consistent she will learn.

We have a Kong ball that my dog loves getting any kind of treat out of, it doesn't matter what is in it, it keeps him busy getting the treats out.  I love watching him throw the ball around to knock the treats out, he knows exactly what to do.

Unless you're actually running with her I wouldn't let her start running on walks , walks are for walking , if you're taking her somewhere she can run around have a look on ebay for 100ft leads , u can also get 50ft etc if 100 is too long, if it's on walks I would stop shorten her lead if she's pulling n still trying to run I'd stand still or walk back towards home, if she behaves I would keep her on a short lead and keep walking only giving the lead length back when she's stayed calm

The problem with trying to keep up with her is that she's going to keep picking up the pace and come to expect it as the norm to drag you down the road. The behaviour needs to be brought under control for normal walks or else your arms are gonna get sore from all that pulling. [emoji44]

Nix gave some great advise for loose lead training, I can't think of much more to add really. Except good luck! [emoji1]