Cats

nicpic40

Hi there. Huskies have a high prey drive and cannot truly be trusted with cats. It's a gamble as to whether the prey drive will kick in and something bad will happen. I've known people who had cats and huskies together for years without issue until one day they suddenly attacked and killed. :(

There are however people who have cats and generally they try to make sure the cats have safe places to escape to. But it is a gamble nonetheless.

This thread was posted four times, so I've moved the duplicates off the forum. :).

Edited by Emma

We've had Members who have posted on this topic in the past

It seems that if a husky grows up from puppy with cats in the house then the cats are relatively safe, however neighbours cats are fair game.

If you bring an adult or even youngish husky into a house with cats then the cats are likely to be seen as fast moving furry food.

I have a cat and four prey driven beasts.  Noah and Bella can be trusted so far, but not the boys.  I would say the cat will hold his own but, never leave them in the same room alone or without the cat having several safe places to escape.  In our front room we have placed the dogs Crate on a high table and put a bed in there and his food and water bowls with a covering over, bit like a Cat cave.

A calm confident cat will probably be ok. We have one that thinks it is a dog and goes for walks with the dogs, but as soon as he moves fast or runs the dogs attitude changes and he would then be fair game so most of the time they occupy separate areas of the house, unless under very close supervision. We found a little kitten in my husbands car engine a few weeks ago and she is tiny so is being kept in a bedroom well out of reach until she can be neutered and get more freedom outdoors. We also use stair/baby gates to keep them safe but never leave them unspuervised. its just not worth the risk