Husky mix?

Nova57

We were told our girl was half husky half pug but no one sees pug whatsoever,  not even the vet.  Someone else has suggested basenji husky mix. . What do you guys think? She is young maybe 4-5 months and very small but she is starting to get the thick double coat fur. . We love her no matter what.  She makes very strange sounds,  very vocal and loves to run. . Also the vet has said she has the best muscle tone he has ever seen in a dog,  she is perfect he says lol. . 

20150905_160633.jpg

20150905_161016.jpg

20150901_153008.jpg

20150825_154415.jpg

Edited by Nova57

Thanks for trying to guess.   Yes she has everyone stumped LOL!!  We have 2 unique rescue girls now.  Our vet says he sees husky in her especially how her coat is.  We keep getting teased by people that they hope she grows into those ears :)   These are pictures of brindle basenjis that we found is why we thought she might be mixed with that and a guy that bred them for like 30 years sees the markings he says..  Her coat had that brindle pattern for a while but now as she gets older it is blacker and blacker on her back mixed with the tan coloring.   We are so glad we rescued this little pistol although I told my husband I think we named her wrong, it should have been tornado or twister or demona!!! 

These are not pictures of our dog but ones we found on the internet.  

basenji dog.jpg

basenji adult.jpg

Sure is pretty

Thanks we think so too but we are probably biased.  I am having to learn about huskies now.  I listened to some you tube videos of their sounds we have heard a few and need to know the best way to train her now.  She seems to be a bit stubborn but very playful.  

Edited by Nova57
add these were not actual pictures of our dog just for reference

Have u thought about her maybe having staffy in there? Her face (eyes) remind me so much of my staffy x whippet

no hadn't with her being so small. She's only 14 pounds right now and maybe 17 inches tall.  I figured if she's part husky the other part or parts must be small. Huskies are not usually that small at 5 months are they?

I was gonna say similar to Nixy, some kind of bully breed perhaps.  Must say I can see why you are thinking Basenji, perhaps she's a mixture of several breeds which is what's making it harder to guess.

One thing is for sure I really can't see a straight husky x pug mix there. 

She's definitely a pretty little lady.  :wub:

• 1 month later...

Maybe Kelpie? But I really don't know, she's a tough one lol

There are some DNA tests but I personaly wouldn't waste my money on them (Seen stories of pure breed puppies coming out as a different breed) and she is lovely whatever she is :)

That is funny you say that because our vet just said the same thing the other day.  No we did DNA on our first rescue that we knew her mother was a border collie but we did not know what else mix and they said she was a pug/malamute mix 3 generations and would be 45 pounds.  She is 24 and we have been told by another dog geneticist there is no way that mix works with her coloring.   She is a red tri (or brown tri whichever people want to call her but red is usually what bcs are called).  The best this other lady figured out for us was bc/jack russell or rat terrier mix.  The rat terrier may be pretty accurate as in the last week she has caught 3 chipmunks and a rabbit and was going after a field rat but my husband stopped her from that one.   She is extremely fast and smart.   

Whatever nova is we love the little dickens.  She is very loving, makes some of the weirdest sounds, one did sound like a different husky on you tube.  When she growls she sounds like she is gargling, when she howls it is kind of like a yodeling, and when she barks she has the highest squeaking bark I have ever heard.  It almost hurts my ears her bark is so high.   She does have a very thick coarse double coat even though it is not very long yet.  She is now 6 months old for sure the first of October as she lost her canine teeth and she is 19 pounds and around 18 inches tall now.  Still very slim and lanky but starting to fill out.  I have attached a few more of her a bit older now.  As you can see below she loves playing frisbee and loves playing bitey face with her sister.  

We did have to take her to the vet and have her xrayed as she started limping and has some muscle atrophy in the right back leg and hip.  Xrays showed all bone structures to be good including the pelvis, hip and leg but the vet thinks she probably had her pelvis fractured when she was a pup and made her walk lighter on that side which caused this.  He gave her a shot and we gave her rest for a few days and he is hoping she will start building that muscle up and using it more now.   20151012_133247-1.thumb.jpg.12954d8130f120151015_181029-1.thumb.jpg.0ab6a097773e20151015_180749-1.thumb.jpg.3ff3d229083anova_and_mya_playing.thumb.jpg.bb524307b

I definitely see the husky coat.  One thing that I have suspected is most of the time you can tell how big a husky will be by their ears.  I don't know how true that is but if it is she will grow.

Well she may get big yet then.  People are always saying I hope she grows into those ears LOL.  We love her ears.  She is starting to fill out more now that she is six months old.  I attached some more photos below.  Both our girls are unique definitely, both rescues and we could not love them more.  Nova is a lovable goofball that loves to run and play and she loves being outside definitely.  She is very affectionate but very independent.  

A full female husky should only be around 20-22inches tall , so she's not that small for her age really

she might just get there.  Mya is 17 inches and Nova is standing taller than her this week for sure, I think probably around 18 inches and was 6 months old around the first of October as she lost all 4 canine teeth then.  She is 19 pounds as of now so still slim but filling out.