Coping on your own?

Rachael_Astro

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I'm leaving my other half as I haven't been happy for a while, but I have a difficult decision to make when it comes to Astro. He is my absolute world and I'm in a really difficult situation. I have bad credit which already makes it difficult to find somewhere to live, however having a dog makes it even more difficult. I'm also thinking about what is best for Astro, would it be fair for him to be on his own all day apart from me popping home at lunch? I also play rugby on Wednesday nights for 2 hours, and I go to the gym as I'm training for Tough Mudder next year, so there's an even longer time for him to be on his own (obviously with a walk in between). But on the other hand he's my best friend, he gets me out of the house when I have bad days and I can't bear thinking of being without him. I just want a bit of advice really, does anyone else have a dog on their own and if so do you get on ok? I'm hoping to find a house share with someone that already has dogs, fingers crossed. Do you think I'm making the right decision by trying to keep him?

there are lots of peeps who keep their furkids on their own for much longer then you are even talking about Rachael....and as you say  need you need Astro to keep you somewhat sane...

good to hear from you even under these circumstances... 

Cant say for the rest of your situation, but as far as being on his own for a few hours whilst your out and being let out at lunch, thats exactly what we do ourselves. We both work full time during the day and I go home at lunch each day to let them out for half hour, then back to work in the afternoon. You will find there are many people who do the same. The reality is, if you work, they are going to be on their own for some of the time.

Just making a transition our selves so I know how you feel about leaving Astro for longer than you would like.  My other half will be popping home in on his lunch break and my daughter will be there till at least 10am.  On 2 days we have a dog walker, which is blinking expensive for four dogs.  But I have gone through the finacess and managed to squezze this out of the budget.

I feel rotten today and they are only on there own for 3 hours then about 2 hours.  But they will adjust and as Marc says some are on their own far longer.  To be honest I have been watching what they do during the day and they sleep for most of it.

I believe it is far better for you to keep Astro,  at least Astro has a loving human to look forward to coming home.  Change is never easy but soon it becomes routine.  Wish you all the best and hope all works out ok.

Hi Rachael.    When we were working full time, my mother in law let them out at lunch.  Then I only worked long days twice per week.  My son was around one day but on a Monday they were left alone 8.30-4.15 without any troubles.  

Feel for you. I can't /won't go away on holiday unless I can bring mine with me. I have only two v close girlfriends I'd trust to stop home with them.

(Not even my other half...- he's short with them and though they cuddle up to him, his 'actions on two occasions have left me cold....he's been warned through bared teeth I WILL leave if he hurts them; they are more wary of him and just test me - like kids do).

Anyway...I really hope you find somewhere...with Astro; he'll maintain your sanity regardless. I'm lucky I'm retired. My two have 24/7 access via large dog flap which I can shut for several hours.

They can also cope with being crated for a couple+ hours if I have nervous visitors re big dogs or during a dinner party - no begging with a discreet but beseeching chin on a lap!).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rachael,

Im in the same situation believe it or not. (It gets even weirder that I am a Male with a Female dog and my ex's name is Racheal..... Anybody else here the twilight zone music???)

Cheza cannot be left out of the kennel when I am out of the house so it gets even worse for her. I tried a few times but she ate the blinds one time and the carpet the next. I am trying to sell my house right now so I cant risk her wrecking the house right now.   She sleeps all day honestly.  I am gone for 10 hours a day and she is perfectly fine albeit with a lot more energy when I get home. Honestly, I don't think I would be getting through with my break-up without her.  I'm really not trying to be dramatic, but my ex has taken to stalking me so its a little more than the typical break-up. So the four footed support helps.

Anywhoo that got off the rails a bit so I'm sorry.  Bottom line is she spends the work day in her kennel sleeping then as soon as you open that cage door be ready for a tidal wave of love.  Cheza and I do all sorts of things when I get home and then at night she curls up by the bed a dozes right off.  I honestly think the all day separation is harder on me than on her.

My advice would be to keep Astro and be patient with him as he gets used to the new normal. Husky's are incredibly smart and in tune with how you are feeling.  Trust me he gets it.  Love your dog. So long as you love your dog things will work them self out.

Hope this helps and we are available if you need any more advice or support.

I don't see a problem with Astro being left alone. Is he crate trained? Mine are in their crates from 8-12 and again from 1-5. Sometimes they don't get the lunch break until 2 and are still fine. The longest mine have been left crated is 8 hours at a time but that was only a couple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - I've found a house share within 10 minutes drive of work! The woman that owns the house has 3 dogs already, we have just got to introduce them to make sure they get on. House is ideal, secure garden with no gates, my room would be on the bottom floor with patio doors that open out into the garden so I wouldn't be waking everyone up if Astro wants to go out at night, the garden is just paved so no digging, she has a utility room downstairs which Astros crate can go in, and I would be able to pop home at lunch to see him! Difficult bit now is just the upping and going bit