New home - Howling

Thor_TheHuskamute

Hi guys could do a bit of advice.

Me and my boyfriend have finally managed to move out in to our own home which we are renting. Before we were living with his parents pretty much out of one bedroom. We crate trained Thor for a while and he was good however we decided to give him a bit of trust which eventually left him in the bedroom on free roam. After a few hiccups he was very good just something destroyed every so often which was fine by us. We trained him to be OK in the bedroom and sometimes this was for 8 hours a day however usually between 4 - 6 hours. He was good as gold so we thought that when we moved out we would be OK.

However now that we have moved out we have had a few trouble which we expected because it is a completely new house. The first problem was that the type of door we have means it would be easy for Thor to jump up and open and it opens straight in to the living room. So we decided to let Thor have the bedroom until we could find a solution to the door. He ripped up the carpet and also pooped in the bedroom something he has not done since he was house trained. So the next time we left him downstairs and he was good and with finding a solution to the door we thought this would be OK. 

However one of our neighbors caught my boyfriend when he was arriving home and said that Thor howls all the time that we leave this was never a problem before and seems to be something new that he has started. Due to moving we thought it could be that we are not walking him enough so today we walked him on two walks an hour and half walk at a time. Then we had to pop out to get some shopping so we thought we would record him so we know what he does when we are out. Although only getting 8 mins it clearly show him howling very loudly for a while.

Does anybody have any ideas what we could do? We are obviously upping his walks and I'm going to start giving him a frozen Kong hopefully this will keep him entertained for a while.There are several reasons that he could be howling;

1) New House 

2) Although he was left alone in our previous house there were other people downstairs so maybe he could hear them

3) I read earlier when researching this that it could be that he is actually seeing us leave as he is in the front room whereas before he was in the bedroom in our other house.

Sorry for the long post! 

it more then likely is new house, what if you leave you leave tv or radio on? you might also want to start all over again with 5 mins out then come back etc and build that up...we started with the command " watch the house" and a treat and when we came back in " did you watch the house " and a treat  now we leave them upto 7/8 hrs roaming the house without any trouble...

As Rob suggests above but our No. 1 rule: get the neighbours on-side and helping. Take them a bottle of wine, cake, whatever and get them involved in helping sort the problem (letting you know how much noise, how long, etc). If they're involved in helping you, aided by the occasional bribe (ummm, I mean gift!), they're usually helpful, don't complain and don't get resentful (and possibly report to house owner, etc). We've always involved our neighbours and, despite having one of ours with extreme SA, they've always been really pleasant and helpful