Is it possible to train Husky stays around home unleashed

Kmarie

Train? Yes. Trust? No. A Husky's prey drive is one of the keenest in all dog breeds. It is that very characteristic that makes both training and trust so very difficult. In fact, not just very difficult, but extremely difficult.

It's a hit or miss, Kato sometimes gets out but would stay around the house. I think I'm just lucky that his prey drive doesn't kick in during those times. If he sees another person, he would follow him/her until he gets bored and usually my neighbors call me. So to answer your question, you can train your husky like any commands, but in the end he/she decides to follow it or not.

My opinion.

Simply No

Others will give you chapter and verse as to why.

My Husky Daughtry got out and was run over by a car.

So No

In the country, starting with a puppy, you might get lucky.  In town with people, dogs, cats, and wild animals going by with a very small approved area to stay in... hell no.  Don't even entertain the idea.  You'll be lucky if you keep them in a fence around your house.  I supervise mine the entire time they are outdoors and majority of their exercise is hiking on rope because I don't even trust letting them run a yard too long.  If they get bored the wheels will start to turn and instead of being satisfied the cat or squirrel went over the fence and now they'll go inside to chew on toys, they decide to go find out where that squirrel or cat went and if it can be chased further should they go over the fence too. 

Also there has been steadily increasing numbers of people who steal dogs in any area.  Even small town Iowa there has been a rash of stolen dogs and a possible dog fight ring.  We have all our gates chained shut and want to put in a 6' privacy fence (town doesn't allow higher than 6') so no one can even see we have dogs and the dogs can't see things going by they want to go get.

Edited by akane

You can trust your husky..... To run off

We can sit here and talk about interpersonal relationships and the type of love and trust you have for your dog, but lets not forget what they are.  They are a running dog.  They were bred to run and pull.  Given the chance instinct kicks in and they enter husky mode.  At that point I have to get in my car and follow mine until someone holds her for me.

I wouldn't risk it. Their recall is generally pretty poor, no matter how much you are bonded together. 

As a side note: my husky somehow wriggled out of his harness yesterday while he was alone in the backyard (tethered) & took himself for a walk around the neighbourhood. So even when they are secured they can't be trusted and must be always supervised for their own safety. 

• 1 month later...

erms No

Let my boy off in a big fenced area in the local park an hour later with the help of 6 basket ball players we got him herded into a corner and I managed a flying tackle

He thought the game of Chase, stand still then run, come over then bolt past was too much fun.