Loss of appetite : (

Ozz

I have a 18 month boy and hasn't really eatten that much for nearly 8 days. 

He is still drinking and has lots of energy and will pick at his food eating only a tiny amount. 

He also not eating things he loved before.

any help of advice? I'm getting a bit worried 

How much has he eaten?  Will he still eat tasty treats? Like if you showed him a sausage would he want to scoff it?

huskies do generally tend to be fussy eaters but if this is a sudden change in his eating patterns without any obvious cause then I would think a trip to the vets would be a good idea.  

Has he vomited at all during this time?  Any poos during this time?  If so, what do they look like?  Solid, soft, medium brown, yellowish?  (Don't want to get too over the top.)  If he has vomited, if his stools do not look normal, or if there are none to check, I really would have the vet take a look.  You'd want to get a weight on him anyway to compare with his last weight.  Has he chewed up anything of late?  Like a stuffed toy, maybe something out on a walk?  One of mine used to pick up chunks of wood mulch and try and eat.  That would make for some miserable tummy time for sure.

It could be that he's simply tired of his food.  Or it could be caused by something that's not right in his gut tract.  Here's what I would do.  I would steam a cup of rice til tender.  Then I would get some ground turkey or chicken, maybe about a pound and cook til fully done, and scramble an egg.  Mix all this together, and feed him 1 cup of the mixture.  See if he goes for it. Then observe and keep a close eye.  See if he vomits at all, and if or not, check his stools.  If he vomits, and/or if his stools do not look normal, I'd get him into your vet.  If he does not vomit and/or the stools look normal, then I'd look at changing his food.

• 3 weeks later...

My Sterling started to do this a week ago, he is a neutered 8 year old male.  He was not vomiting and his poops were normal.  If all is normal he is just not hungry.  He will eat when he is hungry, as I found out when I waited and sure enough he eats when he is hungry, sometimes the entire portion sometimes only a part of it.  When it was the part I had to measure what he didn't eat so that I could maintain his correct portions, but that is just me.  Huskies get great fuel economy and sometimes they just aren't hungry.  There are times I am not hungry for dinner for a few days and I wont eat either.  I would start with testing with a treat and if he eats that it is prob not cause he is ill.  If you are super concerned a vet visit would give you some answers.

Rob