Brain Games?

mydiamond

What are people's experiences with "brain game" toys with sliders and flaps and all that? Last summer I came home with a slider toy for Diamond. I'll link the product here in a moment but basically it has sliders and flaps that hides treats underneath. Anyway I don't think it was too much of a success with mine. Maybe it's only because I did it wrong (I put the toy on my lap instead of down on thr floor) but Dime just chewed on the slider knobs and basically drool all over it LOL to begin with he's one of those dogs that doesn't realize an object would still be there even when they're covered with a non-transparent cover. So that's obstacle #1. Obstacle #2 is that Dime doesn't know how to use his nose and muzzle to open the sliders and flaps. I helped him a little and praise him when he accidentally pushes a slider open with his nose, but then again it defeats the game's purpose of letting the dog problem-solve. So I suppose my question is: should I bother investing on another game like this in the future? Diamond plays with a very limited kind of toys and I don't like seeing him lay around doing nothing all day. So I thought that if these brain games work right, that'll help a lot. 

Thanks in advance! x

In my experience, both of mine just go straight through anything like that to find the treat...what I mean is that they would rather destroy the toy to get to the treat than to figure out how to appropriately get the treat out!

But I have seen a local Husky Rescue organization use them with great success!!

Brain training games are one of those things that they'll either love and persist in trying to master or else they'll soon give up on it.   Mine were never that interested tbh.  One of my friends has just bought an IQ builders toy for their chocolate lab.  So far it's a big fat fail, lol.  But it's early days, maybe she just needs to get the hang of it. 

There was a YouTube video I saw a while back of a really cool, homemade brain game. Basically grab a few plastic bottles, put holes through them so you can put a rod through (put the holes high up enough that the bottles will naturally want to rest with the top upwards), mount the rod on a basic stand so the bottles can flip freely, and fill them with treats. The dog has to try flip the bottles to get the treats out, and usually they won't fall out if they just whack it with their paw, they actually need to try hold it upside down. Probably not all that challenging, but it's a pretty neat DIY idea I thought, and can be made with stuff most people have laying around :)

Edited by Dan