New Siberian Husky Owner!

Kylo

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first husky from a breeder in Central Florida and I am excited to meet all of you. I look forward to learning from the more experienced with the breed as I have a lot to learn! My husky's name is Kylo, he is a pure breed Siberian Husky and he will be ready to come home in about a week so I am looking for any advice during this new transition.  My first question is about deciding between a 42" or 46" crate. Kylo's dad is 91lbs and his mom is 65 lbs. Which size would you recommend I go with? 

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Hidden

Oh yikes. Congrats on your new puppy but no siberian should be that big! I would be wary of that breeder!

I would ask to see the OFA testing results to make sure they tested both parents for hereditary eye and hip diseases. And ask if they follow the breed club's ethical breeding guidelines.

" Height - Dogs, 21 to 23 inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight - Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds.  "
http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

Yea that's what I was told... I feel real comfortable with the breeder so I'll ask her if that number was correct. I saw the dad in person and he looked about that size. Ill get the akc and pedigree for him so we'll see. Here's a picture of himAttach10352_20151221_220122.thumb.png.22

Screenshot_2015-12-22-19-14-24.thumb.jpg

Hidden

This is a medium breed. Boys should be under 60 pounds at their biggest. The ladies under 50 pounds. 

The American Kennel Club doesn't check that the dogs registered are actually fitting the breed or complying to the code of ethics. That is the job for the breeder. You can find their health testing on www.offa.org. I'm sorry that this isn't the happiest post, but I really am just concerned you aren't getting the properly health tested and ethically bred puppy you deserve. :(