Anyone heard about this?

momofallboys

That's interesting, and that dog right there is definitely gorgeous. But I guess my question is why do they need this dog? If their one and only goal is to create a dog that looks like an extinct species, then what sort of purpose would this dog serve? If the answer is "IDK", then which breed's behavioral traits will they inherit? Is it the strong guarding instinct from their GSD side, or the tendency to same-sex aggression on the Malamute side, or... you get the idea. The list goes on. Keep in mind that all the dogs we have today are designed to fulfill a certain purpose back when they were first "created". That is why each breed needs a different set of training, and suits different kinds of people. I understand that "preserving the sheer beauty of the dire wolf" is good enough of an excuse to breed, but they must remember that they're planning to throw these dogs into people's homes. I wonder if they give that much thought? How will these dire wolf look-a-likes act as a pet?

Mmmmmmn.  I don't feel very comfortable about this either tbh.  I really don't like it when people cross breed dogs, make up names for them to make them sound like an actual breed and then charge a small fortune for what is essentially a mixed breed dog.  Nothing wrong with mutts, I love my Bear very much,  it's the air of deception about it that upsets me. 

My personal feeling is that they're trying to play god and recreate something that the world doesn't technically need.  Rather than trying to create lots of new types of 'wolf dogs', I'm sure their money and time could be better spent preserving the species of wolves that are already in existence.

Historically, most breeds were developed "for a purpose". This seems to be for nostalgia's sake, for lack of a better term. What happens most often in these type of endeavors, is a fracture occurs between the parties involved, and then you have two or three groups of idiots messing with Mother Nature, instead of just one group.  One example of such a fracture is the Native American Indian Dod (NAID).  Another fracture occurred with a group trying to re-establish Seppala blood lines.

Hidden

No one really knows what a dire wolf looked like, and to attempt to breed a mutt in order to look like a dog that no one has ever seen is just a marketing gimmick for gullible fools.

Wonder of wonders....maybe dire wolves looked like ...hmmm, dunno, maybe a species of wolf?

To me that just looks like a big, ugly, scragglepuss. I bet the 'fans' flap around like little chickens when you question the ethics put into crossing these pedestal puppies.