Affordable food for my husky?

FlaHusky

My husky is about 2 years old, recently took her in after being at my fathers for some time. I know she wasn't eating the best but Id like to get her on some type of food and stick to it, but something that is affordable for me. For the smaller bags, $18-$20 seems quite expensive knowing that she goes through that in about a week or so.

Is there anything at Walmart/Petsmart that is not too expensive that will be just fine to feed her? I also give her boiled eggs for treats sometimes.

I was looking at Nutro dog food and blue buffalo but for a 30lb bag $45-$50 is quite high -__-

Can't help with the feed question as I'm on the other side of the pond.

However.

You don't need to boil the egg they love a RAW egg unbroken they usually figure out how to open it and love the slimy raw contents

it's more about the quality of the contents.

You should look for % of actual meat and not meat byproducts

% of wheat rice and other products and not husks etc.

actual product is good, by product and husks is not good.

get the the best you can afford

Unfortunately, quality can be expensive.  You might look for Diamond Naturals. They make Taste of the Wild, which you might want to consider.  Here are a few things to keep in mind.

A lot of brands of dog food contain corn, wheat, soy, and other filler grains.  Dogs are often allergic to wheat. Corn does not provide much nutrition and can be a source of deadly aflatoxin.  Soy is a cheap source of protein.  So look for foods that do not contain corn, wheat, or soy.

By-products are a good thing to avoid as well. Now not all by-products are bad, but many are, so there is a good chance that if there are by-products in the food, a good portion of them are not the good ones.

Meat or meat meal is good. Meat meal is the meat without the water. So if you see meat at the top of the ingredient list, the actual content will be less than indicated by listing position. On the other hand, if you see meat meal at the top of the list, the content is in the majority, so that's good.

Hope this gives you some reference points to consider. I hope I've explained things well enough to understand, but if you have questions, post here and we will try to resolve them for you.

I agree with Mazz.  Taste of the Wild is what I feed mine, and a 30lb bag is about $40-$45.   Keep in mind, huskies don't eat as much, so mine only have 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup at night.  Cost-wise, Taste of the Wild is probably the cheapest grain-free food out there.  Some of the grain free ones run up to 60-70 per large bag.  

Thing is, with the more expensive food you might find they last longer than the cheaper food so in theory the cost to feed per day is about the same. For example, I spend £61 on a bag of Canagan however it lasts for about 2 months. So really it is about £30 a month. The guidelines are 200-250 grams per day, where as with the old cheaper food I used to give him it was more grams per day. Same with Origin, it's an expensive brand but you don't have to feed them much of it so a bag lasts quite a while.

Good luck!