Changing food

Strider30

Hi everyone, i know there is loads of these posts and sorry for starting another, i am trying to build wolfie up as i think he is still a bit thin, he is 2 years old and a rescue, I am feeding him a vitalin sensitive complete dry which the kennels fed him on, I have heard a lot of people say things about taste of the wild, but is a little hard to get in this country being the uk, i have come across a couple of foods made in canada which are available in uk i was wandering if anyone had used or knew anything about them. The two i found were Acana and Orijen

Any help would be great, as both look really good and have high percentages of proteins and are grain free tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I've not tried them so wouldn't like to say - i'm trying to bulk out Kaiser a bit at present as he's too thin so i have him on Burns High Energy Lamb and am feeding more meat, tripe / beef chunks/ chicken wings / frames etc

Have you considered feeding 3 times a day instead of 2? but only feeding slightly more than you do now? For example if you currently feed him in total 300grams for the whole day, feed 350 grams spread over the 3 meals - that way you're not over feeding too much but are getting more calories into him?

All said and done though - if you want to put weight on him RAW is best :)

Ah thanks guys, yeah i was thinking bout raw, but want to do it gradually, so i thought bout feeding dry in the morning and raw for his tea, when i went to a pet shop, i was talking to the guy there and he suggested i put him on a puppy food as the vitalin sensitive is only maintaining, where as the puppy will build him up if that makes sense. i did try arden grange and then mixing a wet puppy food think it was called natures diet or something like that, he did seem to love it, there is so many different ones its hard knowing whats good lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, found a company in glasgow called mutley & mog and they stock the Orijen, i ordered a sample of the puppy large breed and a guy rang but unfortunately i was at work but spoke to my mum asked loads of questions and said he wouldnt recommend the puppy for wolfie and said he will send me what he thinks and said he will send me 2 for the price of one bargain lol. Ill list all the ingredients so you can all see for yourselves and see what you think.

BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE FOR ADULT DOGS OF ALL BREEDS

By nature, all dogs are faculative carnivores--they thrive on a varied diet, rich in meats with smaller amounts of fruits, vegetables and grasses.

High-protein, low-carbohydrate ORIJEN ADULT DOG replicates the same rich and diverse nutrient balance from fresh meats, fruits, vegetables and grasses that your dog would encounter in his natural setting.

Made with the highest inclusions of free-run chicken & turkey, whole eggs and wild-caught freshwater & saltwater fish-all farmed or fished within our region and delivered FRESH each day-ORIJEN is bursting with protein-packed, human-grade meats (min. 70%).

Free of the grains or carbohydrates that are inappropriate for your dog, ORIJEN ADULT DOG delivers a full complement of regional fruits and vegetables-russet potatoes, peas and black currants from prairie farms, red delicious apples and cranberries from the interior orchards, and organic sea vegetables from the cold North Pacific waters.

Caught off North Vancouver Island, our fresh (never frozen, no preservatives) salmon provide a superb, Biologically Appropriate source of Omega-3 (DHA and EPA) that support a vibrant skin and hair coat-your dog's outer symbol of health and vitality.

Bridging the gap between good nutrition and peak health are ORIJEN's veterinarian selected botanicals, including dandelion root, sweet fennel and peppermint leaf-all of which mirror the natural instinct to forage for grasses and weeds while serving to nourish and tone the digestive tract.

Made exclusively in our award-winning, family-owned factory, Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN ADULTDOG is a natural and delicious way to assure the peak health, vitality and happiness of your dog-no matter what his breed or size.

Ingredients

ORIJEN ADULT is made with a Biologically Appropriate ingredient ratio (70/30/0) of 70% meat, 30% fruit and vegetables (and 0% grain).

ORIJEN's fresh, never-frozen meats are raised or fished within our region and delivered to us daily by people we know and trust.

Unequalled in any other dry pet food, ORIJEN ADULT features a minimum of 6 fresh meats to better match the various foods Nature intended dogs to eat. Fresh chicken and turkey cartilage provides a natural and high source of glucosamine and chondroitin.

Veterinary selected botanicals soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract while strengthening the liver. Omega-3 (DHA, EPA) is from fresh fish, NOT sunflower, flax or canola oils (ALA) which are ineffective in the body of a dog.

INGREDIENTS

Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, fresh pacific salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), herring meal, sweet potato, peas, fresh lake whitefish, fresh northern walleye, chicken fat (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), chicken liver, salmon meal, fresh turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh deboned herring, sun-cured alfalfa, salmon oil, chicory root, dehydrated organic kelp, pumpkin, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, saskatoon berries, black currants, choline chloride, psyllium, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, sea salt, vitamin supplements (vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, vitamin C, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12), mineral supplements (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Analysis

Modern dogs of all breeds are not only capable of eating the food of their wild ancestors, but actually require it for maximum health. High protein and low carbohydrate, ORIJEN replicates the diet your dog would encounter in his natural environment.

Protein from animal ingredients passed 'fit for human consumption', NOT plant proteins like potato or pea isolates, soy or glutens.

Long chain omega-3 (DHA, EPA) from fresh fish, NOT sunflower, flax or canola (ALA omega-3) which is not useable by dogs and cats.

Calcium and phosphorus are moderate, ideally balanced, and of natural source.

Fresh chicken cartilage provides a natural, high source of glucosamine and chondroitin.

Veterinary selected botanicals soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract while strengthening the liver

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (min.) 40.0%

Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%

Crude Fiber (max.) 2.5%

Moisture (max.) 10.0%

Calcium (min.) 1.5%

Calcium (max.) 1.7%

Phosphorus (min.) 1.2%

Phosphorus (max.) 1.4%

Omega-6 (min.) 3.0%

Omega-3 (min.) 1.1%

DHA 0.6%