Hello from Sky

Pinnacle

Hi,

My name is Stuart, myself and the family are the new owners of our first Siberian Husky. We did lots of homework on the breed before we bought one but have had a few issues. She is now 11 weeks old. We have had her since she was 8 weeks. She is KC registered and came with all the health check forms and details (including stamps) of initial vaccinations, flea and worm treatment. We got her to the vets 1 day after and she has a good look over her. All clear at this stage. The loose stools lasted longer than the few days you would expect from a new environment so after a week she went into chicken and rice (boiled). Still no change after 3-4 days so we moved to adding a probiotic paste to her chicken. Again 3 days and no change so we got a stool analysed to find out she had giardia. During the treatment for Giardia she found roundworm in her stools. So the little

girl has not had a great start. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the breeders or so thing she could have picked up after. 

Anyway she's in the mend now but thought it best to find a community to learn from as we go.

image.png

2 hours ago, Clare70 said:

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to :)

I'm so glad you said that as I'm sure I will have loads :).

i've researched various forums and Bloggs about dog in general but it appears to me that the Siberian husky is not just any dog, maybe that's just my opinion. Now my little one is just full of energy. But I understand that if I exceed use her too much as she is growing I could be increasing the risk of hip problems. I've ready 2 X 20 min walks a day for a puppy is plenty. However I'm wondering at what age this statement is pointed to and how does this scale as they grow. I know of fully grown huskies that for for 6 mile runs every weekend.

is there a graph or a reference table someone has made that I can have a look at to ensure I'm not under or over doing the exceed use?

Hidden

General rule of thumb is +5 min of walking for every month of age. At this point free play is going to be much more important than structured exercise. Just like any athlete, you want to condition for the mileage. Mushers generally familiarize the puppies in harnesses at about 6 months. They can start taking longer walks. At a year they can do very short practices. At 15 months, they are put in harness, and at 2 years they are evaluated seriously.

What were her parents' hip scores? That will give you an idea on what to expect with hip and eye health. Eye issues are much more common and almost all are hereditary.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

A guideline for exercise is five minutes per month of age. So if she's three months old, she should be getting roughly fifteen minute walks. That's each walk not per day though.

Glad to hear her tummy troubles are settling down. huskies are prone to sensitive tummies, they generally don't do well On a grain based kibble unless they are one of the few with cast iron stomachs, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk