Adopting a new puppy on 02/05/2016, please help.

KIbaPuppy

I live in a rural part of California, my luck was up and I seemed to have found a new puppy. I've had a puppy when I was younger. My parents wanted me to learn responsibility, so they adopted me a husky puppy who lived on to be a healthy 13 years before passing away. I know about the breed, I've trained the breed and I love their personalities. I've found a new breeder in my area, she explains that her dogs are AKC registered and the dogs and puppies quarters looked very clean and healthy. I decided to plop down the $300 non-refundable deposit on a wooly boy.

The thing is I am hoping this is a responsible breeder, the owner says they will be 8-weeks old in about two weeks. I was very young, about 12, when I got my first husky and I really do not remember their exact size and weight when they're that young. I am worried that possibly the breed dog got with some other dog or that she just doesn't want to keep the puppy the full 8 weeks as the dog looks very small compared to what I have seen in pictures and video of a healthy 8-week old puppy. So far the puppy is about 5-6 weeks. Can you guys please take a look and help me to decide if this breeder is a sham or if she is really breeding happy, healthy puppies. The pictures are of him at 4 weeks old, does he seem healthy and correct?
Thank you.

received_735529009914828.jpeg

received_735529013248161.jpeg

received_735529019914827.jpeg

received_737157363085326.jpeg

received_737157373085325.jpeg

Hidden

Flat out ask her to link you to the parents' OFA page. OFA is the standard registry to list all health health testing. If there is one thing I've learned in my years in this breed, its that purebred doesn't mean well bred. 

It concerns me that they have a Woolly. This is not a desirable coat. Are either parents woolly? If they are, walk away, it is not a coat type a responsible breeder would be passing on. That puppy will be FAR from ready to leave in 2 weeks. 

In summary.... Walk away. Fast.

http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

www.shca.org

I was born and raised NorCal. I may know of some good breeders in your area. 

Well, I already put down 300 dollars non-refundable. I was told this was a common practice among breeders? I think most the litter was shorter coat but a few were wooly, I have seen some pictures of a well groomed wooly and I liked it. Yet if you're saying this breeder is potentially breeding unwanted coats...I assume I should also be concerned about health issues? I cannot get the money back, would you like to recommend what it is I should do in order to void the contract?

Send me a list of reputable breeders. I live in Redding-Chico area's and work full time but I am willing to look and see. The only issue with me is that a lot of breeders wanted like 1750+ for a dog, while I feel a fair price sits around 800-1000. I understand you get what you pay for but if the only concern is the coat, that isn't a concern for me. I am okay with wooly as long as it's a healthy, good dog.

I think there were only one or two. The breeder only had one male left. I don't much mind a wooly, it's a pet not a show dog. Breeding pedigree isn't much my main concern. Plus the breeder mentioned this to me, also why I got him cheaper than his siblings. Should a coat really be the reason I walk away?

As long as you do not plan to breed the dog, and plan to have the dog fixed, I would not be overly concerned about the coat being a wooly. It may require more maintenance over the life of the dog.  I would be more concerned regarding hip and eye certs on both parents. Is it the end of the world if the parents are not certified?  Probably not.  However, one has to wonder if the breeder is not having their mating pairs certified for hips and eyes, what else are they not doing?  For example, are they charting the genetic traits, going back five generations, to minimize defects and undesirable traits?  These are all things that some of us are aware of, because believe it or not, many of us have been in your shoes at some point in our lives, and we've learned along the way.  It's easy for me, or anyone else, to sit here and spout off about what you should or should not be considering when looking for a breeder or a pup.  The one thing you need to be aware of, is the dog's parents are going to pass on to the pups, some of their traits, some of the traits of the grand parents, and possibly some of the traits of earlier generations.  The last thing you want is to fall in love with a pup, that suffers from a genetic issue that results in an early demise of the dog.  If you don't feel comfortable with this breeder, even if you lose your deposit, it may be a very cheap lesson to simply pass and keep looking. I would call this breeder and have a conversation with them.  Simply state you have some questions and would they mind filling you in on some things.  Ask about the parents; their ages, their disposition, if they have had their hips scored and their eyes OFA certified. Check if they have the pedigrees on the parents, and if any previous generations had any issues.  And any other questions that concern you. If they become agitated, you will know they have something to hide. If they are reputable, they will gladly answer all your questions.  The two Huskies we have, came from the same breeder. Different lines, but in both cases, the breeder had both sets of parents scored for hips, eyes certified, and genetic charts going back five generations.  I spent several hours on the phone with our breeder, over the course of at least two phone calls, asking all sorts of questions. I too was asked many questions by the breeder.  I also had to provide a letter of recommendation from our vet.  I vetted the breeder out pretty well, but the breeder did the same with me. That's how it should be.  Hope I've been helpful.

Ahh, yeah that's different.  My concern was that they may have fallen into the category of breeders who breed specifically for a trait such as a long haired coat or blue eyes etc.  The concern with that is the ethics behind it.  A good breeder is trying to continually improve the lines and minimise the potential for passing on genetic diseases, a not so good breeder is in it simply to make money. With the latter kind of business head, you don't know If they are cutting corners with regards to the puppies health needs and a buyer could potentially end up facing problems and big vets bills sooner or later down the line.   It's pretty tricky to know which breeders are the right ones and which ones are a bit shady.   Although some of it comes down to gut instinct. 

I went to see the breeder this evening, asked a lot of questions. They were able to show me documentation and they showed me a clean bill of healthy from the vet. She seems very polite and patient. Asked me all about my previous experience. She admits that her dogs are NOT champion show dogs nor did she ever intend them to be. This is the pups second and LAST litter. Also while there today she denied a family, who funnily, threatened to report her to the IRS. It was silly, the family obviously knew little of the breed seemed so entitled and angry.

I have already have a clause in my contract that states the puppy be in good healthy and free of genetic defects as long as the vet sees the puppy within the first 3 weeks. If something is wrong I can refund the puppy or switch for another in a future litter (She has two females, one that still breeds).