New to forum and new Husky owner

Julie73

Hi,

Just wanted to say hello as I'm new here. :-) I'm Julie from North East of England. After much reading, researching, oohing and ahhing at Husky videos on Youtube and alot of pestering from the kids we decided to take the plunge and get ourselves a Husky puppy. His name is Ghost and he's 12 weeks tomorrow and we've had him 2 weeks now. He is full of mischief and character and already a massive part of our family..so funny!

He was allowed to go out for proper walks for the first time this week and is loving being able to run around, play with other dogs etc. He's getting really good with letting us know when he wants to go outside and very rarely has any accidents apart from through the night (I get up at 2am to let him out then go back to bed). I wanted to ask opinions on recall training..can Huskies really never be let of the leash even with training?

I have noticed that even on a retractable leash he comes back straight away if you call for him and give him a treat..he totally loses focus if there are any other dogs about though and his attention is soley on them.

Any feedback/experiences would be a great help thanks in advance..and here are some pictures of our furbaby :-)

12695096_10156480831800464_1676833237_o.jpg

12669353_10156480831865464_401674981_o.jpg

12669281_10156480832495464_2014590749_o.jpg

12670021_10156480832885464_1424846842_o.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome to the pack he's a cutie! It's always best to train a recall should he ever escape but I wouldn't recommend letting him off the lead .. Some can be good offlead for years then one day just bolt , it happened to a friend of mine , she let them off n they always came back then about 5 years down the line only one returned , it's been around 6 years since she saw him now n she still doesn't know what happened to him

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum.  

It's a breed trait for huskies to have an unreliable recall.  I noticed with mine that It's particularly more pronounced in adulthood when the prey drive and selective hearing have well and truly kicked in.   It's not that they can't learn commands, it's just an inbuilt instinct that can be triggered one time by something and then bam, they've run off and unlike most dogs who will stay in the general area messing about, a husky will keep on running further away with no limits.  I know people who's dogs escaped the back garden and have ended up in a different county!  Madness.  I thought they were joking with me at first!   Another person at the park, their dog  ran out of the park, across the town and ended up getting run over.  They lived but had a very big vets bill and fiddly operation to repair the hips.   Needless to say they stopped practicing off lead after that incident.   There have also been a few people who's dogs have run off and were never heard of again.    Some people take the gamble but for me it's not a gamble worth betting on.  

• Like 2

My puppy is only 16/17 weeks old and I would not dare to let him off the lead unless in a secure area  -  I am in Lancashire and trying to find a council run tennis court with a door still attached to the court!   He comes on recall in the training area at puppy training class  -  but ignores me at home when in the garden.   If he wont obey me at home I dare not let him loose outside.

Welcome to the forum  -  you have a lovely looking fur baby

• Like 1

Welcome to the pack. Can't add any more to the off lead issue, other than to say in over twenty years of owning Huskies, there's not been one I could trust off lead.  Cute pup. You will have lots of memories come your way over the years. One thing you will find about Huskies, they will train you if you don't stay one or two steps ahead of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I did think that he wouldn't be trusted off the leader so think I will have to look in to getting him a training lead or really strong retractable lead, then he can still have a mooch around at his own will but secure too. :-)

• Like 1