Possible Agouti Pups, Opinions Wanted :)

Jakebrown4

Hello everyone!

I've been on my search for a Husky pup, I've been keeping an open mind but my hear is pretty set on an agouti colored puppy. I've found quite a few different ones, but as you all know agouti is hard to define and spot sometimes, so I would love some opinions on the potential pups I've found! I know agoutis, or what we believe to be agouti's, have the chance to transform and lighten or darken into something else, so I'd like to draw upon everyone's knowledge to help make a decision. Anyone have knowledge on how agouti's generally transform?

Even if the pup does grow out of his agouti coat, i know i'll be happy with him if i select the right pup from the right breeder though :)

The first one named Cato I think could be agouti, but I have a feeling he might not be. His owner doesn't know for sure if he's agouti but says he "kinda has the agouti look" apparently his parents are gray and white, and black and white. At $1500 and a decent drive, I'm not positive I'd want to take the risk if you guys don't think he's agouti.

The middle one named Hiei looks a bit timid in the photos to me, but i'll get a better feel for him If i decide to make the drive to see him. He definitely has a darker agouti look to me but the lighting seems odd so it's hard to tell.

The last one named Jack definitely has the agouti look to me, and is priced the best of all the pups. What do you guys think?

I appreciate the help! I've wanted a husky all my life so I am being a bit picky to get my dream dog :)

cato body.jpg

cato face.jpg

hiei1.jpg

hiei2.jpg

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

Hidden

Suggest running like hell from PuppyFind. None of those are agouti. Start at legit sites like www.shca.org

None of those puppies are well structured, and I would seriously doubt their breeders cared enough about their future to test the parents for inherited issues. 

https://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

http://shca.org/shcahp4b.htm

http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com/blog/how-to-decode-puppy-ads

http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

Oh, gosh. That poor puppy on the end looks like a mix. If you look at the angulation in his rear it is very out of balance. I would keep an eye on his joints as he aged. You can see that his back dips down noticeably. This can indicate a weak or sway back. 
733795_10151536975271590_1411777393_n.jp

Thanks for the input, I'll stay away from puppyfind and look at the links you posted. I definitely want a top of the line Husky if I'm spending good money on one. What is poor structure vs proper?

The middle pup i found from a list of breeders on http://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/siberian-husky

I would list the breeder but I know it's against forum rules. Any easy ways to spot an agouti then? I thought for sure at least the last one was an agouti, I do like his look a lot though, what is that coat called?

Appreciate all the help!

Jake

Ah I see what you're saying now, you're right his posture does seem poor. I have tomorrow off so I think I'll call on some of the breeders listed under the directory on the SHCA website. Maybe I am misunderstanding what an agouti is? Is this dog an agouti? I like whatever coloration he is and would like one of similar color, I may have been mistaken this whole time.

kiro.jpg

kiro2.jpg

kiro3.jpg

http://www.huskycolors.com/agouti.html

Hi Jake,

I'd second making sure you get a quality pup from a good breeder! Trust me when I say quality and temperament is a whole lot more important than the looks...and just so you know the marking and even color of Huskies change a lot while the still grow up ;) 

• Like 1

Hidden

I would probably call that dog wolf-grey. When you see a buff undercoat it is called scrubbing. It doesn't actually relate to the color of the dog. Agouti is a pattern off the black color, and the only way I would say for sure if one is or not would be with the testing for color genetics. I find a lot of disreputable folks trying to pass off wolf-greys and dirty face marking as agouti, whether its for an easy sale or simple lack of breed knowledge, I'm not sure.  Here is an example of a red and white dog with a dirty face.

10580931_10153183496770726_2068792319930

Definitely let your breeder know that those are colors/patterns you are interested in, but trust in them to know if the puppy's personality will be a match for you. They may have an agouti in the litter, but find that your soul-puppy is the little light gray boy instead and recommend him.

• Like 1
Hidden

Whatever you decide on, make sure that both parents are listed on OFA for hips and eyes. Failing eyes have become a big problem in the breed. You want your breeder to be testing any dog they breed. Hips have generally been good, but you still want them done. Our breed actually has very few requirements to attain a CHIC number, which means they have had all the testing recommended by the national breed club. www.offa.org

Here is the dog in the picture: http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1583931#animal

If a dog isn't listed, generally it means they were not tested or they failed and the breeder chose not to disclose the failing results. 

After calling some people on the SHCA list, I got to talking to one wonderfully helpful woman named Paula Marcy in Kingsville, Ohio, who shows Siberians. In light of speaking with her, I've thought about this whole process and decided to drop any expectations of coat color I have and choose a pup based on the breeder for a quality dog that looks like a traditional husky, and not one with just a pretty coat and questionable genetics. Thank you all for the help, I'm now going about this in a much more intelligent way that will hopefully lead me to my dream Husky!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Jakebrown4 said:

After calling some people on the SHCA list, I got to talking to one wonderfully helpful woman named Paula Marcy in Kingsville, Ohio, who shows Siberians. In light of speaking with her, I've thought about this whole process and decided to drop any expectations of coat color I have and choose a pup based on the breeder for a quality dog that looks like a traditional husky, and not one with just a pretty coat and questionable genetics. Thank you all for the help, I'm now going about this in a much more intelligent way that will hopefully lead me to my dream Husky!

Very wise choice - well done to you! 

Thank you all for the words of encouragement! I'm just now realizing the differences between the kinds of pups you get from a pet breeder vs a show breeder. There's nothing wrong with wanting a pretty pet, but I would like a good with good structure that will last through a lot of the backpacking and hiking trips I plan on taking as Jmscott pointed out to me.

I seem to have found a possible pup. He's a male whose parents are OFA certified for their hips and eyes. "The sire's OFA rating was Excellent and dam's was Good. He will come with a two year genetic health guarantee." The only potential issue I'm seeing is that he was a singleton puppy, the only one in the womb apparently. I asked if he was socialized with any other pups and she replied "Yes we have another litter here that is 16 days younger than him who he plays with and interacts. He also had a lot of one on one time with us because he was the only puppy."

What do you all think? The first two photos are of the sire, the middle three are obviously the pup, and the last two are the dam.

10917423_336995859831086_5738959239941678390_n.jpg

IMG_6968 - Copy.JPG

jackson1.jpg

Jackson2.jpg

jackson3.jpg

10437168_10152549915784739_1814570221_n.jpg

10447270_10152549915799739_1845128469_n.jpg

• Like 1

Hidden

These are the kids from Paula? They all look like they have nice coats! That will give you the all-weather advantage. Nothing like earning your badass card out in miserable weather!

11412267_10153320379640726_5448635248174

Looks like some nice solid dogs once their OFAs check out!

Be sure to check out the SHCA's hiking program! It can be really fun to go out and earn a hiking title with your buddy! You can start small 1-1.5 mile hikes around 6 months, then start carrying ~2 pounds on hikes at a year, and graduate to a full blown backpacker at 18 mo. HIGHLY recommend the WolfPack brand dog packs! I have a friend who has been going backcountry for multiday hikes with the same pack for 10 years. Super quality and a Sm can easily carry plenty.

10420748_10153320384925726_4858201248470

Paula literally just ran out of pups, this one is from Kentucky. If I decide to go see him, I'll probably go home with it pending I can see the OFA certs and I like the temperaments of the parents and the pup. I will definitely check out the SHCA hiking program, it sounds like a blast, I like the picture of you and your dog, that's my goal! Thanks for the suggestions about when and how much to put on the pup, I'll definitely look into buying that brand of pack for him.

Sunday I'm checking out a kennel a little north in Michigan, the woman's name is Jodie Burnsberg. She has one sire and four dams and plans on having 4 litters due in April, pups would be going home mid/late June. All parents are OFA tested for their hips and eyes, and the deposit is only $100, I'd be getting second pick of all of the litters.

Not sure which option to take.

Hidden

Whoa, four litters is a LOT to have all at once. Most only have 1 or 2 a year. Talk to Paula and see if there are any she can recommend. 

While woolies are pretty to look at, any breeder using them in their program is a big BIG red flag. Looking up her kennel name in the OFA database, it looks like she's only tested two dogs in the entire kennel. One for elbows which aren't normally tested, and hips, came out "good". Eyes are one of the most important tests done. 

I think I'd be cautious. 

Hidden

If you visit www.offa.org, you can type the kennel name in the search engine and it will show you the available results. Siblings and parents will be automatically linked to the search information if they have been tested too. I thought I linked miss Nana's earlier, but I'll add it again. http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1583931#animal You can see her parents, siblings and all of her eye and hip testing. :) 

It also a little strange when you find a Siberian Husky breeder using the word "husky" for all her dogs. Husky only means a type of sled dog, so there are lots and lots of breeds that are huskies. From Hedlund Huskies, to Alaskan Huskies, and even Samoyeds. 

:huh: AKC doesn't even have one of those dogs listed under the same reg name as the OFA does. 

As I said before, I'd ask Paula for a referral, or even just ask to be on a waiting list! A good puppy like one of hers are worth the wait!

I was thinking that 4 litters at once was a bit suspicious myself....Yeah I just checked her kennel out in the database and she's only tested 2 dogs and none of them for eyes, I think I'll stay away..Your Husky and her family have had many tests done, all coming out well!

I think I'll check on the first pup whose parent's tested good and excellent, and talk to Paula a bit more. Once again thank you for all of your feedback Jmscott, I'm learning a lot and I can feel myself getting closer to finding the perfect pup.

• Like 1

Looks like that tag worked :) I have spent countless hours scouring the web, making calls, sending emails and more, but I know it'll be worth it! I found another pup here in Michigan, he's pretty handsome and the sire has been checked. They also show him in show position which seems like a better sign than most puppy ads ahaha.

"We have 1 handsome boy left Available out of our litter of 6.

Sire is: Echo Call's Silver Bullet (He is OFA Eyes Normal/Clear & OFA Hips Excellent)

Dam is: Khloe Isabella Harris (she will be getting her eyes and hips done soon)

Pedigrees and health clearances will be listed here too.

Puppies were born December 1, 2015

Ready to go now

Have been de-wormed 5 times with Pyrantel Pamoate and Fenbendazole, They have also received a preventative for Coccidia which is called Totrazuril. We make sure our babies are well taken care of. They are very socialized with kids, woman and men.

Has had his 1st set of shots done on Jan 14th, but will have 2nd set done Feb. 4th if still here.

We have 1 male still available.

1 Black, Gray and white with tan around his Blue eyes

PRICES ARE:

Limited AKC papers (meaning pet only you will not be breeding this little one) $650

Full AKC papers (meaning you will be able to breed or show this puppy when old enough) $850

These babies come with a free 30 days of AKC pet insurance too.

COMES WITH A PUPPY KIT TOO.

Pedigrees will also be listed too along with pictures of their mom and Dad, and them.

For more information you can call me

Or email me through here. :-)"

Luzeme pup1.jpg

Luzeme Pup2.jpg

Luzeme Pup3.jpg

Don't feel like a drag! Everything you're telling me is very useful, I might ask them for the Dam's information then go from there, but at the moment it looks like the Kentucky Pup is my best bet so I'll consider him and keep my eyes and ears open. You're helping me much more than you know, I truly do appreciate it

I'm leaning pretty far toward this guy given that his parents are both OFA hip and eye certified and Jmscott said he and his parents had good coats. Thinking about picking him up Monday...his price is $900. How would you classify his coloring? What might he look like when he's older? Will his eyes lighten or will they remain that dark?

jackson1.jpg

Jackson2.jpg

jackson3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2016 at 10:22 PM, jmscott said:

I waited over a year for the right pup to come along, I know @Mobezilla(how on earth do I tag people on here? Did it do it right?) had her own wait for her perfect puppy, Ame. Its HORRIBLE to wait, but going through the right folks and getting the right puppy is so very worth it! :D

You did it right! I just haven't checked in in a while!!!

Yes I waited about a year for Ame, contacted the breeder three times before I even inquired about Ame's litter just to converse and ensure they got to know me. Ame is perfect so she was well worth the wait, and I am hopefully getting her full sister from a repeat breeding if all goes well. 

• Like 1