2 female huskies

Lil' Godwin

I suppose this will also count as my introduction :-)

My name is Caleb and I'm currently in southern California. I picked up my first Siberian Husky as a pup a little over 2 years ago. She's a copper/white and her name is Pepper. Before her, I had very seriously wanted a Sibe for probably 5-6 years. Mission accomplished!

Well, last week I came across a couple who were getting rid of their rescue that they've had a year. Best guess is that they're only a few months apart. So the same age, and very similar in physical/mental qualities. Her name is Mila and I guess you'd call her a light-red. They feel like they didn't have enough time for her to give her the attention she needed since some recent changes in live came their way.

I had done my research elsewhere, but didn't come across this site/forum. I gathered a few things to educate myself and I feel it won't be too much of a problem bringing the two together. I'm going to refrain from explaining what I 'know' about this type of situation, so as not to hinder any future posts. But I would like any/all opinions/thoughts on combining two female huskies together in the same home.

I just picked Mila up today and she's been at the house for about 3 how now. So far they've been great. They've been pretty much nonstop this whole time with a few breaks, and they've finally laid down here in the living room as I maker this post.

They met yesterday at the dog park for awhile and did fine. Mila did great I think in general, as it was the first time I had ever seen her. She's pretty sociable, and I like that, but she also hung around her previous owners and I a lot of the time which I found to be cool, and unusual.

When I brought her home I hooked her up to a tree in the front yard and I brought Pepper outside to her so they could meet, yet again. All was well. So I walked her around inside the house... Rather, she pulled me around as she smelled everything. Typically I don't allow pulling. She's fairly well behaved, but I'll certainly be doing some retaining. This was a bit different though, so I kinda allowed it. Took her out back and let her go, let them play and familiarize themselves with the new situation. Then, for the next 2+hours, they ran around inside and played like huskies. I stepped in and stopped it a few times not really because it was to aggressive, but simply because I wanted then to settle down for a bit. Didn't least long, lol. But now they're laying around and as still as can be.

Being a rescue, Mila is spayed. Pepper will be soon. I was going to do it this month, provided she doesn't go into heat, but I'm thinking of waiting a few weeks until we all get acclimated to the new situation. I want to give them a fair chance to learn each other a bit first and for things to calm down.

Soooo, feel free to tell me:

1. I'm doing it wrong so far

2. What I should expect

3. How to handle the situation in general

4. What could be allowed vs. what I shouldn't be allowing

5. How to go about retaining a dog

...etc.

I welcome all input :-) thanks!

Well Caleb, it seems you are going about this just about as well as anyone could.  It boils down to the dogs themselves. If they get along great, not too much to worry about. From what you've posted it would appear they do get along pretty well.

You should expect a few spats from time to time. Avoid those by feeding them separately, take them on walks together, minimize the toys so there is supervision, that's you, when toys are involved.

In general, be even with your treatment. Don't play favorites. Much of how you deal with them will be determined by how they interact with you and with each other. Be firm, but fair. And above all, be consistent.

What to allow and what not to allow? Your house, your rules. Exercise in the house would be a "no", outside a "yes".  They are a Huskies, so they will push the envelope, so stay ahead of the curve.

Retraining is not much different than training.  Be firm, be consistent. Don't punish for bad behavior, and reward for good behavior.  And above all, realize that retraining to new rules many take some persistence, so be patient.

And before I Forget, welcome to the forum.  Glad you found us. Pics would be great.

And finally, it's a good thing you are doing. So if you have any issues or questions, we are here.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!  Like Mazz said, I think you are going about it right.  I also suggest limiting toys, feeding separately.  When I brought a rescue in the pack, I kept the new guy on a leash inside just in case we had any issues.

Thanks for the replies.

I picked Mila up today because I don't have any plans until Tuesday morning. I'll have to leave for 2 hours.

Ant recommendations on how I should handle leaving them at the house?

I've got a large crate I haven't put Pepper in in forever. She'll voluntarily go inside and also in it because she loves the plastic bottom I suppose. I tried introducing Mila to it with treats. She seems real cautious. She's never been crated I think.

Should I put one in it when I leave? In a closed off room or out in the open? Both of them out in the house free to roam?

Typically when I leave, Pepper is free to go about the house. I will rarely come back to a destroyed piece of paper or paper/plastic-like material. Obviously things will be different now. Not sure how to handle leaving for any period of time.

Mila, the new one, has done this lip/teeth displaya few times in the vicinity of Pepper and myself. More so in Pepper's direction.

I'm sitting on the couch eating jerky. They're both right at my side since I also have a bag of treats. She did this face a few times.

b91d5ac1a7628d8868a0b7eda2ea5842.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. I had to take this fast in case she doesn't do it again for awhile.

I ask because it seemed quite intentional. Though there were no noises involved. No growling or even movement toward Pepper as of to show any aggression. She simply lifter her upper lip for a quick second, probably 3 times. And Pepper didn't respond, as she was just sitting there.

I've never seen Pepper do this. But I do recall an episode of Stan Lee's Superhumans where a guy ate with wolves. They made this type of face at each other while eating, but certainly more aggressive.

Mean anything, a husky thing I don't know about, or is Mila just goofy?

Ok. Yeah I figured that was the best explanation. Thanks for your personal experience. That wolf-guy show seemed to show the same signs. So I figured it was her way of saying, "next treat is mine!" Haha.

Pepper's been great during times when I can't give her all the attention and exercise she needs throughout the last year or so. It happens from time to time. Don't know how Mila would act, and I'm not looking to find out.

Tried taking Mila out first for a walk, and heel training. Pepper was all excited and didn't like us leaving without her, naturally. Was only gone for about 10 minutes. LOTS of work with Mila getting her not to pull and to walk beside me. Some progress already, though I expect this to take a few weeks/months :-\ brought her back and coerced her into the crate. Wasn't a huge fan. Go figure. Gotta spend more time introducing the crate, which may be tough at 2 1/2.

Left with Pepper only for a minute or two because I heard all the cries from a few houses down. Came back and praised her. Gave her treats and tried to keep her near the crate. She wasn't having it. I'll try more later. But so far, NOPE!

I would really like to walk/ run them separately, as well as together. I think I need to spend time with Mila alone first though. Am I wrong?

Any hints or tricks regarding the situstion? All is welcome :-) either for 2 females or for bringing another dog into the family (same age).

Mila is much calmer than Pepper. But can still get riled up like a husky. Pepper's doing well, though almost always wants to play.

I think it's a great start. I expected hurdles and will be for probably a few months. We'll see!

EDIT: I'm hungry. And I need a few things from the store just around the corner. Contemplating putting anything of value away and just going for it, with both of them out to roam together. Though, if I did, I would spend a few minutes listening from outside first to make sure I don't hear any ruckus. Go back in and praise them if not. Then leave for 20 minutes. Thoughts? I need food, haha.

I would definitely advocate taking them out separately for walks sometimes. Once you get them both together they tend to focus more on each other than in your commands, so training goes out the window.

Crate training can take a while for any age group. You could try feeding in there, basically anything to make it a fun place to be.

I would errr on the side of caution when you're out right now until they're settled in properly and just keep them separated for the time being just incase they decide to have a fight whilst you're gone.

Enjoy your dinner! Hope you get to keep it for yourself, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yeah I got to go to the store and all was well when I came back 15-20 minutes later. I walked around the front of the house a few times and checked on them before actually leaving.

I just got back from a very long-short walk with them both. Pepper was just along for the ride, as annoyed as I'm sure she was, and my hand is in pain, haha. She really hasn't had much walking training. And I now REALLY appreciate how awesome Pepper is, lol.

She's going to take some work. I've got her a harness, which she doesn't seem to mind. And I feel much better about pulling back on it when I have to. Though it doesn't phase her much. She's used to her owner holding the less he back while she pulls full force and nonstop. I think I'll refrain frok taking them walking together for awhile until Mila learns better etiquette.

I just gave them both a pork twist treat. One of those rolled up hides that takes 20-30 minutes of continuous work to pull apart and eat. I went to take hers away and she started to challenge me, which is to be expected. I got it, praised her, and gave it back almost immediately. I don't want her to be possessive over anything if I can help it. Instead just know that she'll get plenty of treats, food, toys, and attention.

Day 2!

Thanks for the video. I know of some techniques to help remedy this. But the more the better. I think I already saw an improvement. Though not before being bitten. I stood my ground, actually slightly concerned, but proved more stubborn than Mila :-P She didn't break skin, so that's nice, but I still didn't really expect it.

I'll be sure to act preemptively next time I give her a good treat and make sure she deserves it for one.

She'll take some time, no doubt. But for the most part she's pretty good. Still quite unsure, it seems. Doesn't really obey or come here when called. We'll see how long it lasts.

Pepper hasn't really changed through this process, though she's definitely excited. She still listens quite well even with the major distraction. I'll be sure to stay on top of her.

Alright, so day 4.

I'm working on various training areas.  Walking/heeling/running, and basic commands, plus just good behavior in general.

Pepper and I went for a quick walk/jog just up the road and back for literally just a few minutes.  I left Mila in the house free to roam.  My thoughts were that I would come back and switch dogs and take MIla, if she had been good while I was gone, to include having both dogs sit when I opened the door.  It seemed to go well so I switched dogs.  I took MIla for a walk, again working on her heeling.  It could be worse, but certainly could be a lot better.  I'm really starting to appreciate Pepper, the more I work with Mila.  She did ok.  After about 7 minutes or so I went back and switched dogs again.  I actually took pepper for a run this time, though still not far, maybe .6 miles.  We got back and I switched one last time (so each dog got 2 walks/runs).  I did a quick refresher with Mila on heeling, then tried running. She did well.  Of course, at the start she wanted to run ahead.  After a few times of stopping and readjusting to the hell position, we got into a good run.  I did a loop around the block for almost a mile.  We ran almost the entire time, and I kept repeating "heel" because she was doing quite well.  Once we got to the corner, a few houses down from ours, we walked the last few houses.

This worked out ok it seems.

After some relaxation, I pulled out the other half of last nights rotisserie chicken and began pulling off all the skin/bones/edible stuff.  After 5 minutes of trying to get them to say out of the kitchen, sit/lay down and just stay calm in general.  I put them in separate crates in a different room.  A bit of whining went on for the remaining 10 minutes or so until I finished with the chicken.  I took the big hunks of meat and cut it up into treat sized pieces and put it all into a bag.  I still had a plate left of skin, smaller chicken pieces and edibles, to make a nice after-training meal for the both of them.

I went to the crates with my bag of freshly cut chicken and had them calm down, sit down, and I opened one crate at a time and gave them a nice started piece.  They were still quite hyper for the first half of training.  Most of training included sit, down, and stay.  Pepper did quite well, at least MUCH better than MIla.  Mila did ok, but still leaves a lot to be desired.  During the "stay", I would walk back a bit, then forward, and reward either of them that stayed.  Mila got up a lot and walked toward me, in which case I would say "no" a few times, walk back, and reward Pepper.  More often than not, this was the case.  Mila did better toward the end.

Afterward, I took the plate of scraps and attempted to fill the two bowls evenly, while having them stay back and wait/sit/down/whatever.  It was extremely hard for Mila, which made it worse for Pepper.  This took some time, and MIla eventually broke through and got ahold of some chicken.  I brought her back, completed the process, and then released them.  They were quite frantic.  And I'm finding out more and more that Mila isn't afraid to snap.  She shows her primitive side from time to time, basically anytime a good treat is involved and she acts possessive over it, or is afraid it'll get taken from her.

This concluded all the training for the day.

I'm putting this all out there because I want feedback.  I'm sure my methods are far from desirable.  I did a lot of research 2 years ago when I was getting Pepper, and I had trained her from day one.  My methods then may not have been the best.  It was a combination of what I've read through multiple sources (a lot of sources conflict, obviously), as well as watching my dad train out dog back home who ended up being a great dog.  Pepper ended up quite wonderful, though she's still a pup at just over 2 years old, and it shows sometimes.  So my methods worked I suppose.  But, looking back, I feel I may have been too harsh at times and so maybe she's "good" for the wrong reasons.  I know I'm not perfect, so I'm asking for honest, and well educated/thought out advice on how to proceed with Mila, and to continue with Pepper.  I'll welcome constructive criticism as well, just give me a chance to improve :-) for the sake of Mila, and even Pepper.  I feel as though I'll be training them until they day they pass, and that's fine with me.  I think they're great dogs nonetheless.

Thoughts???

My first two years with Nymeria it was just us two and then we moved home where my Mam has two dogs. We live in different houses on the same property and the dogs share a garden and play area. They already knew each other well but my Mam's male tries to be very dominate and annoys Nymeria sometimes(she is very patient with them both as they are a lot older and he will sometimes try to attack Nymeria and goes to bite her and gets a mouthful of hair ... she can just shake her head and he goes flying... she will them come to me and sit beside me! ). They can be together a lot but the one thing that we avoid is feeding them together. Even treats are kept to a minimum as it can cause tension and competition. 

Nymeria is very well trained but my Mam's dogs (a collie and springer spaniel) are not and can be a handful. I am working on training them for over a year now and always train each separately.. that way they can get attention and a threat without worrying about each others.

I know it is not the same situation but if you could try feeding them separately it might be worth a go.