Incontinence Issue

daltor

hi - one of my pups has been suffering from incontinence on & off for over 2 years.

she is 3 years old & was diagnosed with hypothyroidism over a year ago. but when she was prescribed the med it stopped until recently.

her last 6 monthly blood test & health check (oct 2015) was ok

now this is the strange part - she only "leaks" when sleeping & at the same time most nights (around 9pm) - even if we take her out at 8.30 & she does a wee it still happens.

i've heard it's a common problem but also that the meds used have significant side effects long-term (estrogen, propalin etc) so i would be willing to accept the inconvenience of a clean up rather than chance a serious problem occurring later..

she has no other issues & is going for her routine blood test next month.

anyone had a similar experience? 

btw she is spayed.

cheers

One of the risks of spaying a female, is it can render them to be incontinent.  Not sure how hou would determine if that was the cause or not.  Our first Husky became incontinent, but that started in the last month of her almost 15 years.  Have you discussed with your vet?  The vet should know about any prescriptions that might help and any side affects.  Have you ruled out a bladder or urinary tract infection?

• Like 1

Brooke is nearly 15 and has similar problems. Sometimes when in a deep sleep she will leak a little bit of wee and she can't hold it as long as she could in her younger years. Her spinchter muscles are not as strong as they used to be. She's otherwise fine. Worth checking with your vet though, just to rule out any other causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 15/02/2016 at 2:06 AM, Mazz said:

Have you ruled out a bladder or urinary tract infection?

thanks for your reply - subsequent to my original post our 2 year old male "husky from hell" cheiko stole a 1 lb block of butter & ate the lot paper & all - needless to say he was sick.

we had to take him to the vet who discovered he had an inflamed pancreas due to the high fat intake - he's ok now & would scoff another "1 pounder" given the chance - he's an incorrigible thief

for convenience sake i got our other 2 pups checked out including the blood test pending for the "thyroid" level + liver & kidney function - results came back today - thankfully all fine - however he did suggest that her weight might be the problem - she's 39kg but  normally is around 35kg (77lb) - she's a big girl.

anyway he wants a urine sample to check for infection however she hasn't wet herself this past 5 days.

cheers.