Huskies barking and jumping in approach to other dogs

Sim

Hi everyone 

would like to ask some advice. I have two Siberian huskies, both female. One is 4 and the other approaching her 2nd birthday. 

I've had a bit of a nightmare recently when giving them lead walks. On the approach to another dog, the youngest one will start howling, pulling and jumping on her back legs. Which then gets the other one going. 

I know this looks intimidating to both the approaching dog and its owner. It makes my dogs look aggressive when they are gentle and lovely but just a nightmare in this one instance :(

any ideas of how to train this out of them? I've tried distracting them with noises and treats. I get them to sit and then all attention is on me but I can't stop walking eveytime we see another dog....any ideas? 

Do you know someone who has a dog?  Reason I ask, is maybe you could get them to work with you a few hours for a few weekends.  They would walk their dog from one end of a street, you with yours, from the opposite end.  As you approach, have your friend to not give notice to you or your dogs, you the same.  However, if yours start to jump and pull, have your friend continue to walk, perhaps go wide to avoid contact, and keep your dogs in motion, giving a command, such as "leave it", "let's go", "ignore" or something you feel would encourage them to continue walking.  Do this several times during the session.  Eventually, your dogs should take it as common place and not pay much credence to the other dog.

The real test will be venturing out and coming upon a strange dog.  But hopefully the training will help.  May need to continue training for additional sessions.

• Like 1

I wish I could help but Ice does the same thing. He's four years old too and squeals like a pig, jumps around and starts trying to launch himself towards them. I keep the lead short and held close to my side and keep walking at a safe distance between us. Eventually he calms down again but he does look like he needs an asbo, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1