Sick for two years - Video included.

Husky42

So this is Sapphire, she was a rescue and came to me sick.  We have spent a lot of money on her and its breaking the bank, we wont stop but we are only capable of so much at a time and as such this issues has been ongoing for over two years now.   Her nose is better since we put Mountain Salve on it,  but if we do not keep up application daily she gets really dry and crusty.  Snot is constantly draining out.  She sheds constantly, all year round, not like our other two huskies.    I'm gutted and heart broken that i've not been able to find a solution for her, i'm pulling everything from my vet today they said they should have it all ready for me tomorrow. I'm going to my other vet as i'm tired of my current vet telling me to keep trying all these things when nothing they suggest has been successful. 

She does not really get that much worse, at night she reverse sneezes and coughs more than the other dogs but the caughing and sneezing is always her trying to clear out snot.    

I do not know much about zinc deficiency but could it present itself this way?   This was another reason I left my current vet, I brought this up to me and he told me dogs are not susceptible to being zinc deficient so he doubts that... This made me mad as I know Huskies and Malamutes both can  have huge problems with zinc uptake. 

@ Husky42

We go on PetMd and ask a vet questions often,they are very helpful and knowledgeable,give it a try

My Wife gets a respond back,from a Vet named Dr.Deb.good luck I hope Saphire feels better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What have the vets tried and ruled out so far?

I'm not entirely sure if a zinc deficiency is a separate problem or part of ZRD/ zinc responsive dermatosis but cases that have popped up on the forum (and my own husky has a mild form of) shows up as Red, sore patches of skin that may even start weeping. Ice's mainly occur in the face, particularly around his mouth, but I've seen others that suffer more around the eye area. I occasionally give him some oily fish to help up his intake of zinc and when he does flare up I apply topical cream that contains zinc (sudocream. Meant for babies but works well). I would imagine it's a possibility that there would be other effects to the system too but I'm not too familiar with what they may be.

Have things such as allergies, or a physical reason in the sinuses for the over production of mucous been looked at?

Just about everything has been done, blood work, fecal work, x rays, allergy profiles.      She's bee on Antibiotics and antifungals with no success.   

Taking to some other husky owners and sharing the video and talking to my OTHER vet,  the lean is eosinophilic-bronchopneumopathy   and were going to start her on prednisone next weak if i can get the main vet to agree.     At this time another tracheal wash is out of the question.  We have been able to keep up with cost with our dogs and having a house full it can be stressful but its up over $1000 for just the wash.   

Vet believes with no reaction to af/ab's and persistent for several years that we "may" be able to skip the wash and go ahead and start her on prednisone.   This was thanks to some at another forum and then me calling and talking to our vet.  She eats fine, like has a very strong appetite, if she is done and another dog not done she will go steal there food. 

My vet may suggest a course of antifungal  before the prednisone but i'm ok with that. Though there has never been indication of a fungal infection. 

Fingers crossed the steroids help. My Bear is on them lifelong for chronic inflammatory bowel disease and has been for a couple of years now. They do come with their own set of problems but if the benefits outweigh the losses (and with Bear it was either steroids or die) then the choice is pretty much made for you.

They're used quite often in respiratory ailments, so if they do improve the situation then at Least you know you're on the right track. Xx

So a bit of an update, pred has seemed to be the trick.  I declined to "load" her.  She gets 5mg a day and has responded wonderfully, coughing as stopped almost entirely - She's still gotta get rid of things so I do not expect a miracle in two days,  but after two days of use improvement is significant.  No more snot or white nasty stuff coming from her mouth either. 

Much happier and more like a Husky again. 

I'll get a vid up sometime over the next few days I hope. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Husky42, my 8 yr old male has been like this for a year too, constant snot and coughing, hacking, reverse sneezing identical to your video.

we have been to several vets and finally settled on one we like and trust, he's had steroids that made him worse instantly so we had to stop, antibiotics don't touch it, anti fungals helped and then we did a full nasal flush which eased it but it came back so quick.

we are currently trying to grow a culture from the snot to find a drug to combat it, my vet believes there is a pollup or something within the nasal cavity that is constantly being irritated by his breathing and causing the snot.

it is heartbreaking and I'm sure the cocktails one vet had him on with steroids, ab etc caused his diabetes.

what was it you went with that worked in the end, is that a drug or a procedure?

we have spent thousands of $ so far, Rhinoscopys and MRIs are looming at huge costs.

Husky42, my 8 yr old male has been like this for a year too, constant snot and coughing, hacking, reverse sneezing identical to your video.

we have been to several vets and finally settled on one we like and trust, he's had steroids that made him worse instantly so we had to stop, antibiotics don't touch it, anti fungals helped and then we did a full nasal flush which eased it but it came back so quick.

we are currently trying to grow a culture from the snot to find a drug to combat it, my vet believes there is a pollup or something within the nasal cavity that is constantly being irritated by his breathing and causing the snot.

it is heartbreaking and I'm sure the cocktails one vet had him on with steroids, ab etc caused his diabetes.

what was it you went with that worked in the end, is that a drug or a procedure?

we have spent thousands of $ so far, Rhinoscopys and MRIs are looming at huge costs.

The other poster had success with pred which is a steroid and as they've aggravated your situation I think maybe the underlying cause is different? If anti fungals helped then I'm guessing that there's a clue there as to what could be the cause for you?

Sorry to hear your fur baby is sick, this must be very worrying for you all. [emoji20]

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk