Off lead help!!

Ozz

I have a 19month boy and when ever I let him off lead most of the time he will run off. 

I have done recall training with him since he was 10weeks old but when he see another animal he goes into a trance and he's off. 

Have I ruined my chances of an off lead husky by giving him the opportunity to run off or can I start again? 

He also is not food or toy driven making it even harder to train. 

PLEASE HELP!! 

Hi there,

I don't know if you are aware of it but about 99% Huskies cannot be trusted to recall off lead ;)

If you are in an enclosed area like a dog park, yes, but not out in the open!

It's the prey drive in them and they most certainly will go after another animal...

• Like 3

Well....he's a husky so you may never be able to let him off lead...please please PLEASE read the threads stickied at the top of this forum about off lead huskies. Keep him on the lead, keep him safe!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Offlead only in a fully secure area.

Too many of us have lost our huskies, by them accidentally getting out

then either disappearing or getting run over.

Let alone deliberately letting them run off.

If you love your dog . . . keep them attached.

• Like 1

Ours just turned 16 months and I will not let her off leash due to interest in everything from blowing leaves or the animals we have in the woods rabbits have almost separated my shoulder lol. we do have a fenced in area of about 1/4 acre for her to go nuts in she follows at least 20 commands but off leash she just wants to chase whatever is near by or catches her eye 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you need to keep him on the lead.

I let Zena off lead on the beach and the local field away from traffic and so far she has been really good. She just loves to play with other dogs and/or stay fairly close to me and run after me if I run the other way.

my husky is let off the lead ONLY in my local parks basket ball court 12 foot fence makes it a safe area. Rest of teh time its either on a walking lead or long lead (5 meter) need to invest in a longer one but need to find a horse tack shop near by i can go in and look at stuff.

7 hours ago, PaulG said:

my husky is let off the lead ONLY in my local parks basket ball court 12 foot fence makes it a safe area. Rest of teh time its either on a walking lead or long lead (5 meter) need to invest in a longer one but need to find a horse tack shop near by i can go in and look at stuff.

you do know that Indi Dog our sponsor make real good long leads have had my 2 now for a while....and you can customize them with her as well...

• Like 1

Hello, I'm quite a new husky owner so this is a very interesting topic to me!

I've been really torn about letting my 4-month old husky off-lead, and for now I only let her off in a large park/field area when I'm walking with my friend who has a 2 year old whippet. Akira likes to play with her dog, so will always follow when we're on a walk. She sometimes gets a little distracted by nice smells, and if there is a particularly wooded area or somewhere she may like to explore I put her on the lead until we pass. I don't think I'd be comfortable letting her off on her own, but if I know a friends dog is good at recall, she's been ok so far at following. It's a tricky one!

I would not trust my husky pup off lead  -  my Ute is 100% reliable when on his own  -  but is easily led so would not trust the pup even if attached to my Ute  -  my older dog is far more likely to run off with the pup rather than keeping the pup in line  :(

I've seen first hand what happens when a husky bolts. We went to a husky meet and lo and behold one of the dogs escaped from the car park and bolted. Now most dogs would just dance around the woods and eventually come back when they felt like it but not a husky. They ran straight out into the dual carriageway and by the time we eventually managed to track them down, they were halfway into the next town. Lucky to be alive too!

There was no rhyme or Reason, they simply decided they wanted to go and off they went without so much as a backwards glance. Really not worth the risk.

Zena has never bolted off like that, if she did I'd never let her off again. Sure she runs ahead a little but always looks back and either waits or runs back. On the beach last Saturday she was playing with another  female husky but always close to us. 

I can let Freya off lead for a few reasons, one is that I did recall with her when she was 8 weeks old onwards so that she responds to whistling, another is that the field I take her on is closed off by trees etc. The most important reason is that my other two (not husky) dogs are brilliant with recall and she follows the oldest everywhere, so she comes back and Freya follows.

It's 100% possible to teach her, but it'll take a lot, but I say try if that's what you want :) 

Freya has been known to wander off with other people and she will run over to dogs without hesitation if I don't keep her far enough away, or keep baiting her recall with treats. 

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll get somewhere, good luck :) 

• Like 1

Just got Mia and have to say NO chance will I be allowing her off lead. Noticed right away she loves to chase birds and squirrels which are in abundance where I stay. I am on the look out for some enclosed areas so I can let her off lead to run. Although I dont run due to dodgy knees I will be persitisting with my own training so she can get as much running in as possible. Also going to invest in a climbers rope which has some "give" i it so I can extend her lead so she can run on her own to a certain extent on beach etc.  

Good luck with your training mate

Honestly I've met a ton of husky owners and being a husky owner myself I have not met one person that can recall their husky while off leash when another animal is present. It's the prey drive in them. Only time I let her off a leash is at the dog park or the beach. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luaia said:

Honestly I've met a ton of husky owners and being a husky owner myself I have not met one person that can recall their husky while off leash when another animal is present. It's the prey drive in them. Only time I let her off a leash is at the dog park or the beach. 

Nice to meet you haha 

I see your point though, they do have a really strong instinct for prey, but it's not impossible to teach a husky recall skills, you just need to stick at it and make it worth while for them I guess 

I also think your bond is really important when it comes to recall with any animal 

• Like 1

I would be very cautious recommending others to allow their huskies off lead, as it's a very rare thing to find a husky with a reliable recall. It would be very unfortunate if someone reading this thread thought that it's the norm for huskies to be off lead and then tried it out for themselves and ended up losing their dog. :(

People need to be aware that huskies do have a high prey drive and are recommended to be an on lead only breed. If they choose to take the gamble then that's their choice to make but they need to know that the risk is there.

• Like 5