Freezing liver

ZachAttack

I have been feeding my dogs raw food now for around 8 months and I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is feeding the liver. I buy in bulk and usually get a joint of liver but I always end up throwing most of it away as it doesn't last long in the fridge and freezing it obviously makes it rock hard and is quite a chore to cut for the tiny amount they need each day.

Ideally I would get the joint fresh, cut it up and then freeze it but my local raw food shop only sells frozen. Is it ok to defrost the liver, chop it all up and then refreeze it? I know this is not safe for humans but was thinking dogs have alot more tolerance for food then we do.

Any other suggestions are welcome as cutting the joint is like chipping away at a rock every day and is no fun for dog nor human.

I make up small parcels of liver and kidney and freeze them in individual small freezer bags. Alternatively you can use ice cube trays and put a serve in each segment and then cover with plastic and freeze. Then just pop out a 'cube' each time you feed it. Simples ;)

9 hours ago, loudlucky said:

As far as I know you shouldn't thaw liver & refreeze ;)

Cindy, you are correct. That's because it breaks down further and become even more mushy than it already is.  Hence, it's not as presentable for us humans.  But for the purpose of feeding a dog, it would be fine to thaw - in the refrigerator - cut up as needed - then repackage and refreeze.

When I was a butcher years ago, we would get livers in from the packing house.  Had to skin them and then wrap in plastic and freeze.  Next day, we'd take them out of the freezer, unwrap, and then slice on the band saw stacking in between freezer paper in a box, and then back to the freezer.  The liver would remain frozen until used.  So in that case, we did not refreeze the liver, but instead kept it in a frozen state.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mazz said:

Cindy, you are correct. That's because it breaks down further and become even more mushy than it already is.  Hence, it's not as presentable for us humans.  But for the purpose of feeding a dog, it would be fine to thaw - in the refrigerator - cut up as needed - then repackage and refreeze.

When I was a butcher years ago, we would get livers in from the packing house.  Had to skin them and then wrap in plastic and freeze.  Next day, we'd take them out of the freezer, unwrap, and then slice on the band saw stacking in between freezer paper in a box, and then back to the freezer.  The liver would remain frozen until used.  So in that case, we did not refreeze the liver, but instead kept it in a frozen state.

Thanks, thats very informative!

12 hours ago, Mazz said:

That's my understanding too :) Semi-defrosting in fridge is the best way to avoid too much bacteria getting in. When part thawed, slice and re-freeze. The only change is textural so as you say, not nice for humans but totally fine for our dogs :-) 

I always feed organs frozen as Ronin is not keen on them when thawed ;)

Thanks for your advise people. I have just this minute taken the liver from the fridge and to my delight it all fell apart upon opening the bag yet was still partially frozen. So I whipped the chops I needed into individual containers and put it back I  the freezer. Job done.

My boy is the same Jase. I give him fresh liver and he will lick it for hours but frozen goes down a treat lol must be like ice cream to them 

• Like 1

That's handy to know  -  I cannot get the pup to eat liver either raw or I even tried it cooked  -  the only way he will eat it is dehydrated.  I will try freezing a small amount and see how he gets on with that  -  although at the moment he is not interested in ice cubes which Lunar will walk through fire for.

5 hours ago, SamK said:

I don't think it's safe to defrost a liver and then freeze it again. This isn't right for dogs..

Explain please.  To defrost it out on the counter, no, you are right.  But to defrost in the fridge is not an issue.

• Like 1

nearly all offal can be thawed slowly in the fridge...cut up quickly, better to cut a bit of, cut up and refreeze as quickly as you can...the most important thing is to do it in the fridge...

• Like 1