Slow cooker and huskies

ZachAttack

I have recently purchased a slow cooker which I wish to use when I am out or asleep. I've never used one before and I'm a bit worried the muts might find the smell irresistible and end up climbing the counter when I'm out for a naughty feast. 

Has anyone here had such problems? I'm thinking of putting it on top of the microwave when in use or am I just being paranoid? 

yes the smells get out and unless you put it some where dogs can not get too they may investigate

I havent had the slow cooker knocked over yet but the frying pan with bacon grease gets licked clean from time to time

7 minutes ago, PaulG said:

yes the smells get out and unless you put it some where dogs can not get too they may investigate

I havent had the slow cooker knocked over yet but the frying pan with bacon grease gets licked clean from time to time

Lol I can imagine. So you leave your slow cooker on when out where the dogs have access too? And they do not succeed in any attempts made to steal the feast? 

the fridge and microwave are in the corner of the kitchen nothing to stand on to get to the hieght of the slow cooker as i put ontop of the microwave. I have walked past the back of my house and seen the husky sitting in the kitchen sink so he can look out the window

Kitchen counters  are the same as the floor but only higher to a husky

I've been thinking of getting a slow cooker and this dilemma hadn't even occurred to me. Ice is crated so no problems there but Bear is quite likely to go scavenging when we're out.

Sent from my phone, powered by a magical unicorn's horn.

On the rare occasion when we've been stoopid enough to leave the kitchen gate open and gone out, Darwin had had food out of the oven

(not cooking, just cooling in there for later)

Came home to find two happy dogs and no dinner for us.

So tempting smells can lead to husky sniffing out and finding noms.

I have a slow cooker and have used it quite frequently.  Cheza has never taken an interest.  She has been scolded for being on the counters twice now and that is enough for her.  I think this largely depends on the dog.  Some stores sell a slow cooker lock for transporting food.  I dont know if you can keep them on while they are cooking but you might look into that.

For reference Cheza is crated when I am not around but I never leave stuff like that when I am not around for hours.  I know it defeats the purpose of slow cookers but I am paranoid about kitchen appliances and fires.