A True Story

Mazz

It was 23 years ago, Sally and I got our first Husky. We named her Elke. She was a beautiful bi-eyed Red & White. Oh she was a handful, but we learned a great deal from Elke.  Fourteen years and eight months after bringing her home, we made the last trip with her to the vet, to let her cross the Rainbow Bridge.

On the way home that morning, we cried. All day and the next, we moped around and cried some more.  No more dogs for us.  Three months later we found a breeder in northern Wisconsin. This breeder had the same outlook we had on Huskies, and so we called, just to talk. Well this led to our bringing Zoya home that fall.

A little less than five years ago, Sally called me at work, to inform me that we were getting another Husky, a rescue. And so Eisa came to live with us. This past summer, we had to let Eisa cross over due to cancer. Again we cried.

In late 2014, I picked up a male pup from Zoya's breeder. And so Rohn came to Iowa, and became part of our pack. About a week later, Zoya ruptured her right crutiate ligament. It was a complete tear and required surgery. She had the surgery, and after about two months, started using her rear leg again. Today, Zoya can run like the wind.

So that's the background information.

We have kept in touch with Zoya and Rohn's breeder. We exchange e-mails on a regular basis, and send her pics of both from time to time.  She is a staunch advocate for the breed. One of the contract requirements when acquiring a dog from her, is that the buyer will never turn one of her pups over to a shelter, or rehome to another party. The dog MUST come back to her - no questions asked.  She is firm on this, with no exceptions. I recall one person who had one of her dogs and had turned the dog over to a shelter.  She found out, called the shelter, only to discover the dog was scheduled to be put down that afternoon. She gave them her credit card number to pay for the dog's expenses, took off from work, and drove over 120 miles to get the dog and bring it home.

This past week, she rescued another of her dogs. The owner claimed they could no longer keep the dog, and brought the dog to her to surrender him. She noticed he was not using his one rear leg. They told her he had a pulled muscle. She took the dog to her vet the next day, only to be told the dog had a ruptured crutiate ligament and required surgery to repair. Her vet said he would discount the fee, but it would still be expensive. So last night she set up a donation site and within 18 hours, had the funds to cover the surgery. The outpouring of support was overwhelming.

So why am I sharing this story? Because there are some good people, who care enough about the dogs they have brought into this world, that are committed enough to those dogs, they will do what it takes to see they have the care they need.  And there are some good people, who though they don't personally know the dog, care enough about animals in general, that they were willing to help out in this particular situation.

So, March 22, this boy will have his surgery, and a few months down the road, he will be back to a normal routine and ready for a new forever home.

Just wanted to share.

• Like 5

Thanks of this story Dave. 

Our breeder is the same, and I am now involved in Husky and Malamute Rescue WA, I see so many that end up needing rescue and they are ALL from backyard breeders. It is heartbreaking that there are so many "greeders" out there.

What a wonderful story, its nice to know that there are some people out there that still care!

Harper was an accidental puppy (mum hadn't been spayed and got loose) so her owner ended up with 8 puppies she needed to re-home. She ended up taking back 3 puppies within 3 weeks. Guess some folks hadn't quiet realised that a husky x collie puppy isn't the same as a full collie puppy. I'm really glad they came back to the breeder, it could have been such a different story.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk