2nd husky

Zenapaws

Zena will be 3 in July this year and while I'm off for 2 weeks just prior to that, I'm thinking about getting another puppy. I'm wondering how Zena will react, will she kind of act like a parent or still want to play. I fancy a boy next but the missus wants a girl again. What did your huskies do?

Personaly i have always had at least 2 dogs at a time with a couple years between them in ages. I would personaly have have boy and girl pups together,

My reason male female mixed get along better than two males or two females, (please dont jump on me) dogs  mix better with both sexes than two of the same.

Less chances of same sex squables which can proove nasty to stop and break up. its been about 8 months now from when i got my husky boy and he is still getting along with my shep boy so I have been lucky this time but over the years i have seen some really nasty fighst with  same sex dogs who will not get along. You might be lucky and get two that will be ok but for ease get a male

we had Bindi first then after 1 year Alpha came home with us and we have never looked back love the way they interact..(as an old maried couple LOL), few scraps but they could and cannot be apart for more then 10 mins...now we have had Iwan for  6 months and the whole dynamics have changed again but the bond is still strong....2 male 2 females or mixed is just your own prefeence imo and if the 2 of them get on is much more important...

When it comes to sexes there are some who don't do well with the same sex but it's not necessarily so for others. Bear and Brooke live together in perfect harmony and they're both ladies (I know technically they're called bitches but that always sounds so rude, lol).

Whilst in some breeds same sex aggression is fairly common, with huskies they seem to generally depend upon personalities, at least from my experience anyway. Some will gel together better than others so introductions before making a decision can be very useful.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

4 hours ago, Emma said:

When it comes to sexes there are some who don't do well with the same sex but it's not necessarily so for others. Bear and Brooke live together in perfect harmony and they're both ladies (I know technically they're called bitches but that always sounds so rude, lol).

Whilst in some breeds same sex aggression is fairly common, with huskies they seem to generally depend upon personalities, at least from my experience anyway. Some will gel together better than others so introductions before making a decision can be very useful.

Just honest question out of curiosity.  Were there more or less fights or spats after you got Ice? Ice is male right?

I added a new puppy to the mix when Tuff was 2.  We added a little girl and Tuff didn't like her.  They didn't get along.  I had to find her a new home.  About 6 months later we brought home Aspen and these 2 are hip to hip.  They love each other and play together all day long.  Tuff acts like a big brother and protects his little sister and in little sister fashion Aspen likes to pick on Tuff.  LOL.  If Tuff has a toy and Aspen wants it, he will just drop it and give it to her.  You really just need to find a dog that your current one blends with.  If your dog accepts the puppy I don't think there will be too many spats.  Good Luck!

4 hours ago, Emma said:  

Just honest question out of curiosity.  Were there more or less fights or spats after you got Ice? Ice is male right?

Ice is a male yes. The only fights I've had to break up were from Ice. The girls have never disagreed about anything. He had terrible food aggression towards other dogs and a whole heap of other issues so would attack without hesitation. These days he's only an issue towards Brooke. She is very old and he firmly believes that she has no rights to anything. He will at times tell her off with his mouth if we're not careful. She never retaliates which makes it even worse in some ways. The last incident was about a year ago now. It doesn't happen often but don't be fooled, sooner or later it will again.

• Like 1

Smokey, my first Husky, almost 2, does not really like her little bro...while she tolerates Tsunami (9 months) she is very bossy with him and couldn't care less if his head was chopped off! I think she's more jealous of him than anything!!!

She never attacked him or anything like that, she was just very rough with him since I got him at 9 weeks. But its the first puppy she's had to deal with so I guess she didn't do too bad and he can be obnoxious at times! :D

I would also say it depends on the dogs, not the sex...if they like each other it is 100%, if not it can be male/female or whatever conbination and their personalities clash...

Maybe take your current one with and let it interact with the pups (or older dog) and see which ones click and which ones dislike each other ;)

I have heard that the same-sex aggression is more common in Malamutes than in huskies.  I think it mattes more on personality. 

I got Yukon when Nikko was 9 months old and they got along great from the beginning.  I think it just depends on their individual personalities.  At 3 years old most huskies still have that "puppy energy"  Nikko is just over 4 years old and he is still hyper!

I was nervous about getting another male in the place when I got Marley  -  however my old dog was also male - and whilst Lunar had a few goes at him - he never retaliated so Lunar could not really do anything  (no bites)  -  I think that whilst Lunar adores Marley there will be problems in the future  - they have kicked off a couple of times - and it's usually Marley who starts it - he is very possessive with both food and toys  -  whatever Lunar has Marley wants.   Lunar has never been one for toys - so I think he picks one up just to get Marley going.   Lunar is 7 and Marley is about 5 months  -  very little difference in size already  - maybe an inch in height and two in length  -  but Lunar still has 15/17 kilos on Marley at least.   Not that its ever stopped Marley having a go at him.

2 hours ago, Emma said:

Ice is a male yes. The only fights I've had to break up were from Ice. The girls have never disagreed about anything. He had terrible food aggression towards other dogs and a whole heap of other issues so would attack without hesitation. These days he's only an issue towards Brooke. She is very old and he firmly believes that she has no rights to anything. He will at times tell her off with his mouth if we're not careful. She never retaliates which makes it even worse in some ways. The last incident was about a year ago now. It doesn't happen often but don't be fooled, sooner or later it will again.

Thanks I was curious about same gender pack then adding another gender.

• Like 1