Low weight husky

Hi my name is Kat and I have a 3 and half your old husky . we took her to the vet for normal yearly shots and as I have suspected my husky is a little under wieght . She isn't a big eater and ive tried everything . the vet said its BC shes a only dog and doesn't have to fight to eat. the best thing she came up with was mixing in wet cat food into her dry food . I did this when I got home and she eat even less than normal. 

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Huskies can be picky eaters. Doesn't really matter if they're an only dog or not. My Girls are both very finicky. Sometimes they'll eat their food and other times, forget it! Lol. Ice is a dog Hoover, no polite way to say that really. [emoji2]

I'm a bit surprised that wet cat food was advised rather than wet dog food but I'm not going to contradict your vet as I'm just a regular pet owner but it is definitely a new one on me.

How much does she weigh? Huskies are leaner than most breeds. General rule of thumb is you should be able to feel the ribs if you apply light pressure but not be able to visibly see them. If that makes sense?

Sometimes a little bit of warm water helps to bring out the scent of the food. Is she free fed or just given meals at set times? I found that Brooke my staffy ate better if she was given her food at set times of the day rather than allowed to graze throughout the day.

I also find that changing the flavours of the kibble within the same brand helps to keep them interested. The same flavour after a while tends to bore them. I keep to the same brand to try and avoid an upset tummy as any major food change needs to be done gradually over a week or so.

Plenty of exercise seems to help their appetite too.

Sometimes I've heard of people adding small amounts of oils like coconut oil and salmon oil to their diet to help with their coat but how often and how much I'm not entirely sure.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

• Like 1

Welcome to Husky-Owners! I would not feed wet cat food to any dog.  Your vet should be rapped on the knuckles for that suggestion.  If your Husky is bright and alert, stools are firm, and she is active, being a tad light weight is not a big issue.  Having said that, have you had her stool sample checked for parasites?  If she has worms, that can relate to being underweight.  What food do you normally feed?  

• Like 1

The cat food thing sounded weird to us too .she shouldn't have anything she has been on tri somthing another that kills fleas and parasites ect. I'm thinking we got a crappy vet today . they had alot to say about her appearance . they where wierded out that her pawls fur had a pink tint to it whitch I tride to explain that I wasn't sure what it was but it came up after her being in a kennel closed crate and it might be blood stains from where she was freaking out and pulling the bars with her toes and since then we have changed crates . they just didn't say anything but a few min after that she was like they are very nervous emotional dogs . whitch she was nervous but my toddler was in the car with my husband and she has separation anxiety from my toddler . I'm so thankful I have found this group.

The pink will more likely be saliva staining , the pics aren't great tbh but like Emma said so long as u can feel the ribs but not see them it's usually an indication that they're a good weight , have u tried her on other foods at all oh considered a raw meat diet? Having another dog isn't an issue no dog should have to fight to eat , I think a second opinion from a different vet might be a good idea if you're really worried , one who actually knows about huskies

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi :)

In that first pic she looks a lot like my Smokey! According to my vet she is about 1 to 2 kilos under weight!

I've tried all but the raw diet and when I mix in pouches or canned food she eats less than with kibble :(

Something I did find to work a bit was changing her kibble to another brand. She was on adult kibble (brand that has 3 flavours, so she couldn't be bored by the flavour!) Now the new brand I mix their puppy kibble with the adult kibble (both Ostrich flavour which she loves!) And now she eats like a pig!

The vet suggested mixing the puppy kibble in even though she just turned 2. It has more protein and fat in to boost her and she has picked up 400g in about 2 weeks ;)

I would not feed cat food to a dog as I've heard that the proteins are too high and that there's things added thats not good for dogs...

I would get her to a vet that has experience with Huskies though...

• Like 1