Crate training

We have always been able to leave our girl out to free roam in the house while we where gone . then a few months ago me and my toddler went out of town for two day and left her with my husband and she riped some of the carpet up at the bedroom door so we decided to try to create train her again . on top of all of that we are going out of town and taking her with us but are nervous to leave her alone in the rental house BC of what she did to our carpet . we have tried the 10 min in and increasing it and once she's in for about 30 min she freaks out . she gets slobber everywhere including outside of the kennel . can some dogs just not be created . we have even tried zip ties to hold the kennel shut and she breaks them . I feel like ive been defeated by my dog :(!!!!

Ours have free roam of the house and are only crated when we go camping, no worries then they happly go in their crates for the night...

as far as zip ties have you tried the once with the metal wire inside, a bit more expensive and you need to do a bit ofhunting to find them but she will not be able to break them LOL...

Im not sure how helpful this will be because mine has always been crate trained.  She however will not allow herself to be left out side of her kennel if I am not around.  If I forget she tears everything up she can get her nose into. Her kennel has become her safe spot with that said though she will go nuts if I don't let her out right away because she wants to be at my side.

When she was a puppy I had a horrible time though because she would poop the kennel seconds after I left out of distress.  One day a month later it clicked with her and she finally understood that I will always be back for her.  After that we never had any more kennel problems. (knock on wood)

• Like 1

So we got the kennel a ready to go again with zip ties and put her fav. Tense ball in there with her and when we came back she wasnt barking or anything but she some how cut her snout . she is fine but I'm not sure if I should put her in agiain tomorrow when I go to my mother in law's or just leave her out  .

11 hours ago, Katherine and Serenity said:

So we got the kennel a ready to go again with zip ties and put her fav. Tense ball in there with her and when we came back she wasnt barking or anything but she some how cut her snout . she is fine but I'm not sure if I should put her in agiain tomorrow when I go to my mother in law's or just leave her out  .

Do you have a kong you could freeze with some tasty treats in it? Then you can give that to her only when she has to be crated ;)

It's like getting an awesome reward everytime she has to stay in the crate... I've done it with Somkey as a pup and she learned pretty quickly that it's not so bad to spend time in there, now she lives her crate!

The frozen kong lasts a lot longer than not freezing it and the treats inside keeps them focused on the toy ;)

10 minutes ago, Katherine and Serenity said:

I did try the kong but I didn't freeze it . she not very food driven but she loves some peanut butter !!!!! 

Thry freezing it after you put the peanut butter in ;) it keeps them busy longer... 

I've found mine to feel 'safer' in the plastic type of crates (the really really strong airline quality ones), but I've seen dogs chew through them online so they don't work for any dog. Maybe make it comfy with a dog pillow or blanket and leave some relaxing music on in the background. Tsunami knows when a certain playlist starts he has to go inside the crate and I'm leaving.. It helped him calm down and he actually knows the music stops when I come home, so he keeps 'waiting' for the music to stop to get his treat!

• 2 weeks later...

While you are in the house, keep training her, puts treats in the crate so eventually she will go in on her own to get them, make the crate a good place to be so she only knows positive things about it. The odd time close the door while she eats the treat, gradually build it up. As other have said when you go out give her a kong toy with treats in it.