Walking My Husky.

JaxiSmiles

I walk my Mixed Breed Lab Dora twice a week in the mountains behind my house it is far away from the streets and there are no houses in sight. She gets to be off leash and i was wondering How old my Husky should be before i start taking him. I also want to know if he will ever be able to be left off leash.. Please Help

IMG_4172.JPG

• Like 1

I will never let mine off lead - although I know others do  -  you will find the consensus here is not to.  They have been known to come back on call for years  -  then one day just decided not to  -  and a lot are never seen again.    At least there are no roads where you are.   Are there no secure dog parks where you are?    Have you thought about the very long training leads to give your dog freedom??   One other thing to think of is that your baby is so beautiful that if he did get away - someone else is bound to want to keep him.

as stated do not let a husky off lead  all you want is for a rabbit or deer to run and you will be lucky if you see  it again, worse of there is live stock and your husky gets shot for chasing it

• Like 2

It is strongly recommended among those in the husky industry not to let your husky off lead. There are people who do it anyway but tbh I'm not one of them.

Long lines are safer if you want to give them a bit of freedom.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

4 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

5 min's per month per walk for puppies till they are a year old , I wouldn't ever risk a husky offlead , they can be good for years then one day bolt never to be seen again

We started taking ours for around 15-20 mins, 2-3 times a day to get rid off his excess energy lol,, and he is around 14 weeks, is this ok?

Like Nix said, yeah that's ok. General rule of thumb is roughly 5 minutes per month of age, so at 3.5 months of age, by my calculations that's pretty much spot on. They say not to over exercise at a young age coz their bodies are still developing and too much strain on them can cause problems later on.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

Hidden

Until 6 months you want to do mainly free play, where the puppy has the opportunity to rest whenever they wish. After that you can do short stints of structured exercise. A pup is ready to start serious training after a year and a half.

I also recommend keeping a leash. Puppies will lull you into trusting them until suddenly they break that trust.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I might be in the minority letting my husky off the lead. Saying a husky may recall for years then one day decide not to, could be said about any dog with a prey drive which most dogs do. When I take Zena on the field, most recently this morning all she wants to do is play with the other dogs, she does this for about an hour then she gets put back on the lead and we go home. I've done training with her since she was 8 weeks and still train her now she is nearly 3