puppy name

cdawg

I just have a simple question about my 8 week old puppy

I named him zeus about 3 days ago and he still doesn't even recognize the name I have been saying his name every time I am in contact with him any one know how long it should take or any suggestions to help speed up the process?

thanks

For a puppy that age, it may take several weeks or so before he starts to recognize his name.  I don't know of any other ways to "speed up the process."  Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary.

Thanx for both responses lol he seems a bit hard headed at times but I love him to death..

Off subject

I'm taking him next week to see the eye vet to check for any diseases then gonna have his hearing checked 

• Like 1

Hard headed? Yep, sounds like a husky. [emoji3]

Like the others have said, it will take a while for him to learn his name. Some learn things quicker than others so it's very hard to compare. Bear learnt things very quickly but Ice took a lot longer to acquire new skills. Compared to some other breeds he was still intelligent and reasonably quick to learn but he just wasn't anywhere near as lightning fast as Bear. A bit like a younger brother living in his older siblings shadow. Lol.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

• 1 month later...

I see someone already posted the idea of a clicker, but I'm gonna' put it out there... chicken.  Or ham, or whatever his favorite small treat is.  Say his nam, "Zeus," and hold the treat (hopefully he has noticed it) to your nose and as soon as he looks at you give him the treat.  The goal here is for him to look at you in the face and immediately know that is the action you want. This will get his attention and he will know when you say his name you're talking to him AND you want his attention.  Rinse, repeat, often.  You can try it for longer periods of time - holding his attention - before giving the treat once he gets the hang of it.

I still practice this with my 5-year-old Siberian, Phoenix, and she totally knows her name but she instantly looks and pays attention to me all the time - not just when she chooses to, like so many of our breed does... stubborn [lovable] lot that they are!