Scared of new people!

Mollysdrunk

My new puppy Optimus is 8 weeks old, we picked him up just under a week ago and had previously taken him for a trip to the vets where he was very social. The vets receptionist even pointed out he was the only one of the litter to not be nervous there. (We're a small island!)

On Sunday when we picked him up he met a couple of friends and was friendly enough, from Monday he seems to have suddenly switched and hides away from people and occasionally growls.

We have kept introducing him to new people everyday and they are all patient with him and offer him treats which he will occasionally accept but will still cry or hide behind me and won't let people near him.

I'd love any advice to help our situation! He seems to be an active and playful pup until someone new is around and then he suddenly turns into a bag of nerves!

0dc18dfc72b3bf0dd4027ba98ae2fdf0.jpg

It's a big strange new world.

He's recently been taken from his mum and litter mates.

Patience, he'll adjust.

Hidden

The best thing you can do is allow him to meet people new on his own time. He was taken from the litter a little early. Normally a puppy spends the first 8 weeks using mom and litter mates as a safety blanket when learning about the outside world. A doggie version of Attachment Theory. Meeting a person shouldn't be purely pets. A lot of times non-dog savvy people can unwittingly appear terrifying. Instead of direct puppy play, bring super tasty treats for your friends to toss to your puppy as you have a nice time with your friend. 
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/sochow2.html

Is your puppy a mix? Sometimes other breeds can add in other temperament traits.

Thanks for the advice everyone! We took him out tonight to meet a group of friends and while he was nervous he eventually got his bearings and started to approach them so we're making baby steps.

I was just over concerned as a new puppy mum!

As for Optimus himself I've been told he's a pure Siberian although we don't have any proof and I'm not too willing to contact the people we bought him off as I'd like to minimise any contact with them... Long story but it's best for our pup to avoid them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk