Getting a husky soon(need advice)

CoolStudio

(This is the first time for me to get a dog)

(i live in a hot country)

I am probably getting a husky soon ..i live in an appartment (in a 13 storey building ) and wont be able to keep the husky indoor all the time for some reasons so i will keep it on the roof ,so i am thinking of building a wooden (or metallic cage ) house 2x2 metres of area and 1.5 metres high with his food and water bowls inside to stay as much cool as possible and his toilet (probably litter box or pads) about 5 meters away from his house also will put a water container (as a pond )near his house and try to keep it as much cold as i can ....the problem is that i am afraid he may jump so have to keep him tied all the time with maybe 5 or 6 meters chains and try to take him for walking as much as i can (probably two hours daily) 

note: sometimes i will be able to take him inside my apartment 

will that be ok for him ?

ty in advance

6 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Is there any reason you can't have him in the apartment with you? Huskies are pack animals and need companionship

Its my parents appartment and full of things that can be broken so having a medium sized energetic dog like the husky is a bad idea while iam away or busy in something else ,however,ofc i will let him in occasionaly as much as i can .ye i know they love companionships so i will try to play with him ,do mental and physical excersices ,jogging and taking him for walking daily as i said the most thing i am concerned with is keeping him chained with chains for long hours everyday(they are long so will keep him some freedom ) 

1 hour ago, SamK said:

I can suggest some dog houses that are ideal for all kinds of weather. I use one of them and my Husky has always enjoyed the shelter.

Ty so much i have just checked the list but which one exactly you use for your husky ?

*thanks  bingblaze and Samk for your help... 

Edit : found a guy on youtube who also lives in a hot country using that cage in the attachments..i can build something like this the same length and height and half of the width also gonna cover it with cardboard or anything to provide him with shelter (or build it from wood )and keep the cage door opened for him to let him go out/in freely (still in chains ofc)

image.jpeg

Mine are not very hyper at all tbh. I too am concerned about being an outside dog in a hot heat. Both of mine struggle to cope in the hot weather, we can't take them outside during the day when it's hot as they can't cope with it all. A little Cool water for them to stand in can help a bit but getting them wet all over can make things worse as their coat helps to keep them both cooler and warmer (but like double glazed Windows).

Another thing to consider is the exact length of the chain. You want them to be able to have a decent amount of roaming movement but If it's even just slightly too long and they do decide to jump, then they could end up hanging themselves.

To be perfectly honest, the situation doesn't sound ideal for a husky, they crave companionship and may quite likely howl and bark at being left outside. The neighbours might not be too happy about this.

Sent via the power of telepathy.

• Like 6

I'll be frank - I think the circumstances you describe are entirely inappropriate for a Husky.  You sound like someone who does genuinely care about this or you wouldn't be asking so why don't you consider another breed and perhaps get a Husky if and when your circumstances change. 

• Like 6

I'm glad others have said it before me.  Let me tell you about my husky and maybe you might see that this might not be a great idea. (I'd like to think she is a normal husky) My husky requires attention constantly.  I go to work in the morning and she gets kenneled to protect her from her separation anxiety.  She has a nice blanket and a fairly large kennel for her size.  I come home and she is a hyper ball of energy.  She never leaves my side because she has missed people all day.  I find myself daily rushing home to spend as much time with her as possible.  She gets an hour walk at minimum a day and if the temp goes over 80 F we stay in and do indoor training until she is tired. She gets overheated too fast after that.  At that point she lays down for about 30 minutes and she is ready to play again.

Even after all that I still feel guilty sometimes. 

My point is I have spent a good chunk of my life wanting one of these dogs and I had to wait till I had the right situation. At this point in time I work my bum off so that I can be a good situation for her. I'd sooner loose my right arm than give up my dog but I tell you this right now if my situation changed I would make sure that she had a better home than the one that situation put me in. 

Husky's need constant attention, exercise, and a cool place to rest.  If you can't provide these I'm not sure this is best for both you and the dog. I wish you the best of luck in life and I hope you get what I am trying to get across. 

• Like 2

Its obviously agreed that my case isnot suitable for raising a husky (extremely dissappointed ofc huskies are really great )...if i succeeded in giving up the idea of raising husky which dog best fits my case : Doberman or Rottweiller ?

A Siberian Husky doesnt fit your situation whatsoever, but dogs were bred to be companion animals so most breeds of dogs will not do well with living outdoors, especially in the heat, for long periods of time. I would highly suggest waiting until you are able to move out of your parents, so that you have your own house, that your dog can stay inside with you. :)

• Like 2

A Siberian Husky doesnt fit your situation whatsoever, but dogs were bred to be companion animals so most breeds of dogs will not do well with living outdoors, especially in the heat, for long periods of time. I would highly suggest waiting until you are able to move out of your parents, so that you have your own house, that your dog can stay inside with you. [emoji4]

I totally agree here