Season

x-o-emz-o-x

Hidden

Be vigilant. Dogs do not require a solid tie to impregnate a bitch and she will be every bit as interested in finding available males as they will be in finding her. She can be bred through a fence, so absolutely no time should she ever be unattended. A bitch can hold viable semen for as long as 11 days, plenty long enough to hit her fertile stage. Count a FULL 30 days from the time she is noticeably in heat before you go back to your normal activities. Doggie diapers look helpful but are easily torn off or pushed aside, don't rely on them for anything but helping keep the mess cleaner for the next week or two.

For however long she is intact, learn the information on this website like the back of your hand:
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/the_normal_canine.htm

If you are not comfortable keeping an intact lady, once this cycle is through you can speak with your vet about sterilization options. OSS (ovary sparing spay) is becoming very popular and keeps all the hormones without the risk of pregnancies.

• Like 1

I was always told to wait 3 months after to do the operation...this will ensure that all the muscles etc have relaxed...that is what I have been told by my vet when Bindi was done ...

• Like 1

HI Emma. :wave: 

When I got Brooke 15 years ago it was recommended at the time to wait until after her first season and then spay.

When I got Bear it was then recommended to wait until an adult and then spay.   What Jaimie just said about a chemical spay for females is entirely new to me too.  I've heard of people doing it with males but didn't realise you could do it with females.  Pretty amazing what they can do these days.  (I sound like an old person!  lol).

Advise seems to have changed quite a bit over time and tbh there are usually two camps on this subject.   Those in favour of an early spay or neuter and those in favour of waiting until an adult.   There will be pro's and con's to both decisions and tbh if you were rescuing from a shelter then you would likely find that this decision would have  already been made for you and dealt with.  I personally don't have a strong opinion either way, the only thing I'm passionate about is the fact that they are going to be spayed at some point in time.   :up:  

Be vigilant. Dogs do not require a solid tie to impregnate a bitch and she will be every bit as interested in finding available males as they will be in finding her. She can be bred through a fence, so absolutely no time should she ever be unattended. A bitch can hold viable semen for as long as 11 days, plenty long enough to hit her fertile stage. Count a FULL 30 days from the time she is noticeably in heat before you go back to your normal activities. Doggie diapers look helpful but are easily torn off or pushed aside, don't rely on them for anything but helping keep the mess cleaner for the next week or two.

For however long she is intact, learn the information on this website like the back of your hand:

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/the_normal_canine.htm

If you are not comfortable keeping an intact lady, once this cycle is through you can speak with your vet about sterilization options. OSS (ovary sparing spay) is becoming very popular and keeps all the hormones without the risk of pregnancies.

Thank you. Yes I am being very vigilant at the moment. Exercise only in garden as so many of the Spanish leave there gates open and dogs to run freely which are still fully intact!!! No dogs have access to our fences. No one comes near my house as they hate my dogs with them being so big

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1