Bikejoring

AmandaR

Hey everyone,

I know there are probably loads of topics about Bikejoring, but thought I would start my own :wave:!

Akira is now 6 months old - and my gawd is she strong! Walking her is really proving to be a struggle all of a sudden, and having recently been told I may have fibromyalgia, my muscles can end up slightly painful from being pulled all over the place. Ideally I'd love to buy a pawtrekker scooter, but they are a little out of my price range.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good bikejoring gangline which isn't too pricey, and at what age is it ok to start doing this, do you think? I'm scared in case it hurts her as I know she's still growing and developing. Her urge to pull is massive, so ideally something in front of my bike would be perfect I think. Suggestions welcomed!!

• Like 1

I would not simply because of how young she is. I don't start running mine NORMALLY until about 12 months and bikejoring at 18 months. I started Ame a little earlier because she is from working lines, but she also has a team of dogs helping her. With 1 dog, I'd follow the 12 month running 18 month pulling guidelines. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mobezilla said:

I would not simply because of how young she is. I don't start running mine NORMALLY until about 12 months and bikejoring at 18 months. I started Ame a little earlier because she is from working lines, but she also has a team of dogs helping her. With 1 dog, I'd follow the 12 month running 18 month pulling guidelines. 

Thanks @Mobezilla! I was a little worried about how young she is, so I'll leave her longer now before trying this. We came across a woman who lives nearby the other day that has a 1 year old with a pawtrekker scooter. She let me hook Akira up alongside her husky for 5 mins - which was amazing! Do you think I could let her do this again for short periods if there are 2 dogs? Akira was loving running with the husky, but again I really don't want to end up hurting her.

Personally at 6 months I would not risk that, many people start too young. I'd say once shes 10-12 months you could do the short sessions with the scooter with her having another dog up there to help out. But no more than a mile. I wouldnt exceed a mile until shes 18 months and her growth plates have closed. 

• Like 2

Agree with the above I would not do it before 18 months old either...what you can do now already during the walks is the commands ..left right stop etc  that will help you a lot...

I have also moved your thread to working & showing...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice and definitely will hold off until she's older then. It's proving so difficult to tire her out just now, and I worry that even her pulling on her harness during walks may be hurting her? I've tried positive reinforcement with treats if she walks beside me, and changing direction lots if she pulls, to even refusing to start walking again until she stops pulling. She's just so determined to get to some far off spot in the distance as soon as she possibly can!! She's very stubborn like her dad ;)x

Thanks @robke and @jmscott. I'll definitely check out these videos when I get home - lots of mental stimulation for her this evening! The 'touch' cue training looks interesting. She's very good at 'paw' now so hopefully she'll take to it well :D

3 hours ago, AmandaR said:

Thanks @robke and @jmscott. I'll definitely check out these videos when I get home - lots of mental stimulation for her this evening! The 'touch' cue training looks interesting. She's very good at 'paw' now so hopefully she'll take to it well :D

The 'touch' tires them out good! Once you get the to touch say for instance your palm if your hand you can make it interesting and move around in a room or even house!

I use that for Tsunami when I want to get him tired on rainy days ;) And because they have to think too it works like a charm! Also I let him do a quick sequence of about 10 or so things like: sit, lay down, sit, shake paw, lay down, sit, touch, lay down, sit, lay down etc and treat at the end. Mix it up and do that 5 times over and he literally plops down in his bed for a few hours! The quicker you go the harder they have to focus to do it quickly!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, AmandaR said:

Hey everyone,

I know there are probably loads of topics about Bikejoring, but thought I would start my own :wave:!

Akira is now 6 months old - and my gawd is she strong! Walking her is really proving to be a struggle all of a sudden, and having recently been told I may have fibromyalgia, my muscles can end up slightly painful from being pulled all over the place. Ideally I'd love to buy a pawtrekker scooter, but they are a little out of my price range.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good bikejoring gangline which isn't too pricey, and at what age is it ok to start doing this, do you think? I'm scared in case it hurts her as I know she's still growing and developing. Her urge to pull is massive, so ideally something in front of my bike would be perfect I think. Suggestions welcomed!!

Hi Amanda, I have been bikejoring for a while now and it's great fun. The buzz you get is like no other. Unfortunately the rules governing the sport prohibit you running your dog until she is 18 months old.  As has been said, use this time to train her the various commands that you'll need, left, right, hike, whoa and stop are the main ones. I would also advise that you find a club local to you if possible as they will be able to give you all the help and support you need. If I can help in any way please feel free to contact me. Good luck and have fun.

Gary.