Pet Insurance Question

Jay

So it is time for Kodiak's annual vet appointment and vaccinations and I noticed that his teeth have a lot of tartar on them and he badly needs a deep teeth cleaning.  I called my vet and it runs from $200-500 just for that, and the vaccinations run another $200.00

I looked online and Embrace has a plan that will reimburse you up to $650 a year no matter what the routine procedure is (vaccinations, dental cleaning, flea/tick prevention).  The cost is $66 a month, and says that you can cancel it at any time.  Has anyone added this plan to their insurance and just cancelled it a month or two afterwards? If you add up the yearly cost, I don't know why anyone would purchase a wellness plan because you would pay more in premiums that you would get back every year.  But if I just kept it for a month or two I could save a lot of money.   Just curious if anyone else had done that and if they had any issue with cancelling or them paying out.

Does seem tempting, but consider the cash flow aspect.  Chances are, you are still going to be out of pocket up front for the vet bills - then file a claim.  Bet if you canceled before you got the reimbursement check, you might not get the reimbursement check.

We just had Zoya's teeth cleaned a few weeks ago.  $563 was the bill.  OUCH!

I thought about that too.  I figured that even if I kept it for 3 months (which should be enough time to get reimbursed) then I would still save over $450 on the whole vaccinations and teeth cleaning procedure.  Embrace also will reimburse you through direct deposit, so you get your money quicker. 

And I will have to pay the vet up front, then submit the claim online.  I did find the catch though.  If you cancel the wellness plan, and they have paid out more than you paid into it, then you cannot sign up for the wellness plan for ANY pet in the future.  So I guess that is them discouraging people from doing what I am inquiring about.  However, that isn't really a big deal since I don't think keeping a wellness insurance plan for routine care the whole year cost effective at all.  It is confusing on how anyone could justify paying 12 months of premiums when they know they won't get back what they paid into it.  But I guess that's how they make money.

The only think that may discourage me is that I cannot sign up for wellness plans for either of the other two.  Which means, I'd have to pick another insurance company for Nikko next year that doesn't have as good of benefits.  The nice thing about Embrace is that they give you $650 for anything.  The others have certain limits on exams, vaccinations, dental, flea/hw meds, etc.

And OUCH that is expensive!  My vet said that it would start at $190 and go up from there depending on what all they find.  It could be as high as $500 if he needs teeth pulled or other dental work.  I just know his breath always smells bad and i see the plaque on them and his gums are a little red so I want to get it taken care of sooner rather than later.