So proud of myself !

wolfpup

For the last couple of years I have been unable to walk any distance due to arthritis of the spine mainly, but hips and knees just added to the fun -  usually about 150 yards has been my limit without having to sit for a few minutes - then I can go another 150 yards.

I have been trying a new therapy called Bowen therapy from a herbal practitioner local to me  -  she started out as a physio specializing in athletic  injuries etc before branching out to different types of massage and herbal medication etc.    I have received five treatments so far - and thought I had seen some progress, but not tried to do any real walking because I still had the pain.

Yesterday I had to go to Preston - and walked around half a mile in total with only two sit downs and only around half the pain I am usually in.

It was such a nice morning today (no wind - warm but not that sunny) that I decided to try taking Marley and Lunar to the Wyre Estuary - where dogs are allowed to run free (not Marley of course) and there is around 7 miles of walks along the estuary and fields and small woodland walks  -  I used to take Lunar and Cain around 5 - 3 years ago when I could still walk fairly well.   Marley had never been there.

Marley was beside himself with excitement - even managing to get out of his harness which is supposed to be impossible - luckily I had several carabiners attaching the harness to his collar and managed to wriggle him back into it.    We met around 30 dogs - he even came face to face with another husky - (adult) and they said hello - although I had to keep a tight hold on Marley because of his exuberance  -  I even took him onto the estuary itself - and he managed to fall into a deep channel with around 9"of water in  (it was hidden by grasses) and it took me a while to get him out, not only because the channel was so deep and narrow  -  but because the little tyke was having so much fun splashing around down there totally out of sight.  He loved romping through the grasses and I am sure he has worn his nose out  :)

He also loved the shaded woodland walk and I spotted lots of hazelnut trees, ransom - wild garlic, blackberry hedges, damson trees,plantain, dandelions etc  -  so will be going with a few bags next time.   Marley spotted lots of small birds and a couple of rabbits  -   I am now going to invest in one of those shock absorbers that can attach to the lead. ;)

We were out for around an hour and half and I estimate I walked around a mile and a half  - with only two sit downs.   Lunar was off lead and Marley was on an extending lead so I reckon they must have covered at least two miles -  the only reason I stopped was because both dogs were getting too hot,  I believe I could have carried on for another half hour or so

One thing I noticed though  -  at the end of the walk I took out their large drinking bowl and filled it with water from a large bottle I had also added ice cubes to before leaving  -  and by the time they had both had a drink we had several people and around a dozen dogs lining up to take a drink  -  I put my dogs in the car and took the water bowl to the grassy verge and they all took turns in having a drink of cold water.  Why do so many people take their dogs out in the heat without adequate cold water ????????????????   Grrrrrrrrr.

----------  both dogs have been asleep for around 3/4 of an hour now  and its around an hour and a half past their lunchtime  -   I managed to tire them out  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!            :Yes:

I swear Marley has a smile on his face.

• Like 3

sounds brilliant...well done you...:cup:

yes I never understand it why people do not have any water with them at the end of a long walk I always have 10 liters of fresh water with us and spare bowls...

• Like 1

Sounds like you and the dogs had a great day! So glad your treatment is working that you can enjoy being out walking with the dogs! Marley will be dreaming of all his adventures!

I always take their travel bowls (those collapsable silicone ones) and enough water with, even though Tsunami will only drink while in the car...he refuses water everywhere besides home or in the car!