Marley reverting

wolfpup

Marley has always taken every opportunity to go upstairs during the day  (he is not allowed to as that is the two cats refuge).   He has always seen it as sort of a mischievous/playful thing  -  tail wagging madly when told to come back downstairs.   He is not upsetting/chasing the cats  -  they are still on the landing and not in hubby's office  -  which has a child gate that they can get through but the dogs cannot if either dog gets too obnoxious.   We cannot put a gate at the bottom of the stairs because of the additional handrail.

However three days ago he cocked his leg on our bed  -  and the next evening  he came into the lounge after being outside most of the evening (cooler) - and peed against the armchair (the one he has partly eaten) right in front of me.

He never asks to go out - but the back door is open from 5am to midnight so he does not need to - and the only door he cannot open is the front door.   He is clean through the night - and I have no idea why he has suddenly started to pee indoors again.   The only way his routine has changed is that both dogs are getting extra walks as I am taking them to the estuary on top of the walks they go on with hubby.   

No accidents for the last two days  -  is this just a hiccup or something I should be aware of as part of the breed??    Could it be that he is getting older and wants to 'challenge' Lunar as top dog  (he is 8 months old now and the same size as Lunar - but about 10 kilos lighter).   There is no trouble between the dogs, they leave each other alone at mealtimes  and neither goes to the other bowl until the other dog is out of the kitchen, although they do not play together any more since Lunar had that injury to his leg.    Marley has always been very possessive of toys/bones etc  if it is on the floor it belongs to Marley (he thinks)  -  and Lunar never tries to take anything back or contests anything.

Are they intact? Has he been checked out incase it's an infection? He is now hitting his teenage stage so could just now be challenging you n pushing his luck , might be time to treat him like a puppy again n taking him out for potty breaks not just letting him free roam to the toilet

Lunar is neutered  Marley is still intact  -  leaving him as long as I can to try and mitigate any behavioural issues.   When I saw him in the lounge I picked him straight up and threw him outside -  he was quite surprised at the ease I did it   (I know I was)  as he is not a light dog  -  but that is exactly what I did to him as a puppy.  He is not going to the loo any more often than he used to - is not restless or agitated  -  and follows Lunar round the garden peeing everywhere Lunar does  (covering Lunar's scent)  -  which makes me think it is more a growing up issue than anything else.

Cheers   -    of his own volition he spends most of his time outside -but likes to go upstairs purely because he knows he is not supposed to  I will have to find something large to block the stairs during the day.    The strange thing is that at night when he is allowed to come upstairs when I go to bed its hit and miss whether he does or not.

Sounds like he's in the rebellious phase...

Tsunami has always been crated at night till about a month ago I left the door open. He never gets out, he prefers to sleep in the crate (its right next to my bed) he only gets out at like 5am (or sometimes later depending on when he needs to go potty) and then he zooms around the room waking everyone up! Its only after I've taken them out that he'll plomp down in the doggy bed and sleep a bit more until I have to get up...

It's odd what they prefer and how that can change instantly when they decide!

B used to pee on the bathroom door at that age! He lost his inside privileges (he prefers being outside anyways) and we went back to potty 101 when he was allowed indoors. He now only comes in for bad weather (bad weather for him = any strong wind, any rain, or any cold outside!) or if I let him in to keep him from being outside... He can also hold it for the whole night from 8pm till about 9am if its rainy and he wants to sleep in on a weekend!

These dogs are more like rebellious toddlers than I have ever seen in a breed.  Love them but they are full of lets say personality.

This is why Cheza is crate trained.  I let her roam the house once or twice after she was potty trained when I left the house.  Came home and found that she had almost hung herself in the blinds.  This was after a week or two of being left alone while I was at work. I think until they are 3 there is a good chance that behavior will change like this.  Its a puppy thing.

No further accidents  - 3 days now  -  but Lunar is booked into the vets in an hour   -  on Friday night he started to cough  - and has been coughing for three days now.    No runny eyes, not red either, no runny nose, no temperature, eating well, bright enough.   I doubt very much it is kennel cough  -  he isn't over fond of other dogs anyway so spends little time with them even if he meets one on a walk.  He has coughed occasionally for around the last 5 years - but not consistently like this.  I just hope it is not his heart - which can also cause coughing.

Why do we do this to ourselves?????   We bring dogs into our lives, fall head over heals in love with them - then spend the next 15 years worrying about everything.

Will keep you updated.

The vet has put Lunar on antibiotics and steroids.    Evidently his lymph glands are very very big  -  but the heart and lungs are normal.   I discussed whether to give him calendula to help drain the lymph system and he agreed it was a good idea.   10 days for the antibiotics but the steroids for 7 days only  -  and I can drop his dosage down after three days if there is an improvement.     The steroids are purely to act as an anti-inflammatory for the bronchi and trachea. 

• Like 1

Yes he is going to the vets quite a lot lately  -  so much so that today instead of turning into the vets garden - he tried to turn the opposite way  -  then he flatly refused to climb the steps to go in.     Inside he kept trying to get behind the receptionist's counter  -  to hide!    Then when we were eventually called in - as soon as he got inside and he saw the vet - he immediately sat down   (expecting the thermometer).

18 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Yes he is going to the vets quite a lot lately  -  so much so that today instead of turning into the vets garden - he tried to turn the opposite way  -  then he flatly refused to climb the steps to go in.     Inside he kept trying to get behind the receptionist's counter  -  to hide!    Then when we were eventually called in - as soon as he got inside and he saw the vet - he immediately sat down   (expecting the thermometer).

Haha guess he's had enough of vet visits! 

Hope the meds work soon for him. Must say that I did think it was a scent marking case from reading your initial post. Just goes to show you can't diagnose over the Internet.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk

My fault Emma - switching from one dog to another  -  Marley was doing the peeing  -  Lunar with the infection.

Oops! Sorry, my mistake. Must say I was wondering how they were both related but hey, stranger things have happened! Lol.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk