Freya and Lexi war

Wolfee

I have no idea what's gotten into Lexi (staffie) and Freya (husky) recently. 

They've been having tiffs lately, after their first one we got Lexi spayed, because we thought it was her who had the problem, but from watching them together, I'm thinking it might be Freya that's instigating these fights... 

They had one last night, and it was quite bad. I calmly separated them, and Freya had bitten Lexi's face and her eye, thankfully she's fine but I'm thinking, what will happen in the future? 

If I don't fix this and sort it out, one will end up dead. I have no idea what their problem is, I thought food, because Freya can be snappy with her food, and Lexi goes for her left over food sometimes, so we began feeding them separately and taking their food bowls away when they're done so there is no food that they can possibly fight over. 

Now, I'm thinking its Freya... Since last night, we've taken them on a walk together today, and they were OK, before going Lexi tried to get at her again, but she didn't get near her. So I got my mum to get Freya whilst I had Lexi, and they walked nicely. We let them off together when they seemed calm enough, and they ran around together nicely, but then Lexi started to get all up in Lexi's face, her body forward and being bit bossy, so we put her back on the lead immediately to prevent anything from happening. 

She calmed down on the lead, and they walked back home nicely. 

I then took Holly out, and had them all in the back garden together for more run around and play, which we do a lot. 

Lexi can be completely distracted from the other two with her ball, she is really fixated on it so she was happily running after it, bringing it back etc. 

But as I was watching them both, I noticed that Freya had her eyes on Lexi a lot, and she did not seem calm... She wouldn't lie down, sit or anything, she'd just be stood up, hovering around Lexi and looking at her a lot, so that made me think, maybe it's Freya who is instigating these tiffs? 

I'll be honest, due to my exams (which have recently ended) they have not been getting regular walks, so I thought that maybe they're frustrated? 

I really need help, I don't want to end up having to rehome on of them, but at the same time that's what I'll have to do to protect them both from each other if this carries on. 

Please give me any advice or help you can, thank you :( 

The picture of them both shows exactly what I explained, with Lexi concentrated on the ball and Freya looking at her and hovering ---- Freya is never interested in toys. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've been thinking though, it seems to only happen when I'm around them together, maybe it's me that's the problem? 

I have anxiety and depression, so I'm not always projecting the strongest energy or presence... Are they reacting to me? Maybe I'm not a strong enough leader for them... I don't know how to fix that 

See I was wondering if she isn't fixed it could be her coming into season , my bitch was a bitch when in season to my boys lol , was there anything around apart from you that might have caused a problem?

Harper is currently being an absolute cow to our boy whilst she is in season, to anyone boy or girl in fact, to the point I have had to get her an 'I need space' bandana. A sudden change in behaviour for her is definitely out of character and if she wasn't in season I would have got to the vets to rule out any medical issue first - I am assuming since this is an on going issue anything medical has been ruled out OP?

When you say she is standing and watching Lexi with the ball do you mean she is directly hovering over her? Because that sounds like she is trying to bully her. Harper used to do it with Hento and his food until I made it very clear that once you have finished you leave the room and bullying over leftovers is not acceptable. She also tries to bite his tail to make him drop the ball so she can play with it, which again is her bullying him, and is something we are working very hard to stop!

It sounds like there being lots of excitement seems to set them off (being off lead on the walk and playing in the back yard) so maybe it's best to do these things separately with them for now?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Lexi is fixed but Freya isn't yet, we've had to wait until it's been a certain time since her last season... If we get her fixed would that calm her down a bit? 

21 hours ago, 09robiha said:

Harper is currently being an absolute cow to our boy whilst she is in season, to anyone boy or girl in fact, to the point I have had to get her an 'I need space' bandana. A sudden change in behaviour for her is definitely out of character and if she wasn't in season I would have got to the vets to rule out any medical issue first - I am assuming since this is an on going issue anything medical has been ruled out OP?

When you say she is standing and watching Lexi with the ball do you mean she is directly hovering over her? Because that sounds like she is trying to bully her. Harper used to do it with Hento and his food until I made it very clear that once you have finished you leave the room and bullying over leftovers is not acceptable. She also tries to bite his tail to make him drop the ball so she can play with it, which again is her bullying him, and is something we are working very hard to stop!

It sounds like there being lots of excitement seems to set them off (being off lead on the walk and playing in the back yard) so maybe it's best to do these things separately with them for now?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah Lexi will run next to her whilst looking at her and try to nibble her ear and grumble at her sometimes 

Could it be that they are both possessive over you? That they are fighting over you? 

The hovering and staring? of Freya is not ideal, it makes me think she's jealous ;) She wants all your attention and not share you with the rest maybe...

54 minutes ago, loudlucky said:

Could it be that they are both possessive over you? That they are fighting over you? 

The hovering and staring? of Freya is not ideal, it makes me think she's jealous ;) She wants all your attention and not share you with the rest maybe...

I thought this too, especially with Lexi as she's honestly the most lap dogish one, she will just come up to me and sit on me Haha  I think I need to set some firmer boundaries