Biting issues

Moonshine

Hi im having a few issues with moonshine biting excessively when playing and excited.its not aggressive as his tail is going like mad. its just getting a bit painful now

Ive tried Swapping swapping my arm to a toy, Yelping, Standing still and ignoring, Holding muzzle, And thumb under tougue and fingers under chin. Any tips would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

How old is he now?

Stop playtime immediately when he starts to get nippy and give him a time out by removing him from the place/room where you are.

You can also try putting some Vicks vapour rub on your arms where he bites, I've done it with my boy Tsunami and it worked very well ;)

Also have some good treats around and if he starts biting at you, make him sit or lay down to get the treat, that takes his mind off of the biting.

Exercise before play is good as they are less likely to bite when tired.

Teaching tug with a rope toy also worked for me as he learned the rope toy was appropriate tobite and he could take his frustrations out on it...

• Like 1

Hes 3.5 month old now.. funny you should mention the vicks. I use tiger balm on my knees and noticed when i put it on he sniffs it and runs off.

I tried the time out and as soon as i shut the door he would squeeze out a poop. He would only be there less than a minute at first

Hes got his first puppy class aswell tonight 

Sounds like you have a stubborn one :D

Puppy class will be a good start, be sure to ask there for advice on the biting too! At that age they are teething and the chewinf/nipping is only going to get worse before it gets better ;)

• Like 1

He's young and it's normal for them at this age to nip/bite as they need to exercise their teeth. Mine was the same at that age. Now she's 10 months and grown out of it. Be persistent and show that this is inappropriate behaviour. Try to do lots of mental exercises as well as that makes them tired quickly as puppies. You have some good advice already and you're on the right path. Try to avoid playing rough with him as this will encourage the behaviour. Turn your back, stop playing and ignore immediately  when he starts nipping.

Puppy class will be good for socializing and building his confidence. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2016 at 8:42 AM, Moonshine said:

Oh hes definitely a stubborn one like

20160610_151302.jpg

Oh, but he's so darn cute.  Don't you think?  How on earth could you not tolerate a few nips from the likes of him.