Naughty Nikko

Jay

Had a scare last night. NIkko was upstairs, access to the bathroom was closed, so I thought he could not get into anything.  He was quiet, too quiet!  He came downstairs and had minty fresh breath...Found out that he ate almost an entire pack of Dentyne Ice chewing gum!  There was almost a full pack in a pocket of a pair of shorts on the floor.   I have read that xylitol, which is in many sugarless gums, is highly toxic in dogs and can cause liver failure very quickly. 

Frantically, I searched for the ingredients on the gum, and thankfully this brand does not contain xylitol, however I still wanted to make sure, so I called the vet.  They said to induce vomiting immediately, and if he does not bring the gum back up to take him to the emergency vet.  What I found online said that the ingredients in this gum was not fatal, and would not cause any harm, and I am sure the vet gave me that advice as a precaution, because if something happened they would not want to be liable if they told me that it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, I got the peroxide and a turkey baster and gave Nikko some of that, and a few minutes later up everything came, and luckily all the chewed up gum pieces appeared to be in there. 

So a warning...make sure you don't leave any gum where your dogs can get to it, and always keep peroxide on hand just in case!  He is doing fine and we avoided a potentially dangerous situation.

IMG_5307.JPG

• Like 2

How cheeky! Glad to hear he was ok.

Ice used to have a thing for running off with the toothpaste or chewing up the toothbrushes when he was young. We went through so many it was crazy. Think he must have been desperate to clean his teeth, lol.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk

These dogs cannot be trusted I tell you.  They are all out for themselves.  They steal your stuff, they lie around, they run off.  Glad Nikko did not get into anything too serious.  But if he ever does, you now have the experience of using Hydrogen Peroxide, and will know what to do.

• Like 1