Brewers Yeast with Garlic?

Ydolemb

Hi,

ive read mixed opinions on garlic and whether or not it is safe for dogs. Someone at the pet store recommended brewers yeast tablets with garlic for the dogs hair, skin and to keep fleas away. We currently have her on a monthly flea med, so they haven't really been an issue.. My question; is garlic safe for dogs? Does anyone have any experience with these tablets? Are they even worth it (if they are safe) ?

Garlic and onion are both toxic, but the amount of garlic in the brewer's yeast tablets is not that great.  One thing to keep in mind, some of the people that work at pet supply stores, are not employees of the pet store, but are actually employed by a company that has product on the shelves at the pet supply store.  So sometimes, the information they delve out may be biased.  I don't give my dogs any garlic.  The amount of garlic you'd need to give them to ward off fleas may be more than what they should be given anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that there is no actual consensus on whether or not garlic is actually toxic to dogs. Every other article I read on this touts a different position. The following article explains what the toxicity theory is based on, which is the interpretation of a 2000 study done on 4 dogs fed extremely high doses of garlic extract, and cited "potential" for toxicity.

Basic statistical understanding shows us that a minimum sample group of 30 or more subjects must be present or more in order to glean any level of accuracy in conclusion.

http://www.petguide.com/health/dog/the-shocking-truth-about-dogs-and-garlic/

I would certainly be interested to know of any other documented studies, or personal experience in which a dog became ill when given reasonable/moderate doses.

My dog loves dehydrated garlic, and hasn't shown any signs of problems, but its not a regular thing either.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk