Living with 2 female Huskies

Brian87gt

Roughly 2 years ago my wife and I brought home a 12 week old female husky, she's a great dog that we've all grown to love. We've always felt she would benefit from a having a friend around those few hours my wife and I are at work and our kids were at school. Two days ago we rescued another female husky. They seem to get along alright, we are however a ways from leaving them home together alone. I know all dogs are different , but anyone out there have any pointers for what to expect, and if they'll ever become great pals? The only incident we had was when they both went after the same chew toy, and they growled at each other, nothing more. The one Husky will sometimes bark at the rescue dog, and the rescue dog doesn't bark back or anything, almost as if she couldn't care less. Thanks for the help....

20160613_181350.jpg

20160720_163620.jpg

Well, each dog is unique, so experience in this case, may not benefit you much.  We have three Huskies right now.  One female, and two males.  The last Husky male we got, was a rescue, and about the same age as our other male.  We've had some serious fights to break up in the last six weeks.  Sometimes they seem to get along fine, and other times they seem to want to kill one another.  It just takes time, and that time can be many months to a year, before they are comfortable and get along without issue.  Sometimes, it only takes a few weeks.

We keep our one male in the kitchen, the rescue male as the run of the foyer and hall, and our female is in the living room, during the day.  It seems to work out fine for us.  We use child gates to keep them separated, so they can all see one another, just don't have direct contact with one another.

It also helps a great deal if you can take them out on walks with one another.

All three of mine are males, but I don't think it matters so much on the sex of the dog than the individual dog. 

The first two I had from puppies and they got along great, never had any fights.  I brought home the rescue, and we had several fights for the first few months.  I quickly learned to take ALL the toys, bones, etc away.  I never fed them close together.  When it was treat time, I made sure to separate them.  The rescue also had a leash on at all times, so if a fight did break out, it would be easier to break up without injury.

Even now, once in awhile Nikko (the first dog I got) and Kodiak (the rescue) have a fight, always over food.  A couple weeks ago I had some white rice I didnt want, so I took them outside and dumped it out so they could have it.  It came out in one solid clump, and both of them went after it and started fighting.  It can be the smallest thing that sets them off.

Oh, and welcome!

I've got two female dogs but not two female huskies.

I agree that it depends much more on the characteristics of the dogs in question rather than the sex. Whilst some breeds are prone to same sex dog aggression as a breed trait, that's not so of the Siberian husky. However that doesn't automatically mean that putting two of the same sex together will definitely work. It truly does come down to personality in my opinion.