Bellatrix

jen.faris

Hello, new here with what is supposed to be a four months old siberian. Her name is Bellatrix. She just seems huge.

As of the fourth

1c418c6e20d4eda231bd4f584c0a464a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We have a birthday of roughly April 10th. We received her may 22. She was 6 lbs. She is now 27. I just can't believe how fast she is growing. Does something seem off with the dates vs sizes?

We know nothing of her parents. Her litter was dropped off at a rescue at 6 weeks. The puppies were not fully weaned. They were basically overflow from a puppy mill so there could be several genetic issues in her future that is one of the reasons I'm concerned about too rapid of growth.

Welcome.  A photo of her standing, from the side would be helpful.  

I will try tomorrow. If she is standing she is usually in motion lol

She is looking a bit plump. I may have to be more strict with the treats when guests come over. She knows how to steal the hearts of total strangers. Hopefully it cools down and we can do some runs as well. I have been afraid to overheat her.

Remember not to get into structured exercised (long walks/hikes, runs) until around six months, and then only limited. She can start participating in training runs about 15 months. She does look pudgy. How much food is she getting per day? 

She gets 2 and a half cups split into 3 meals. I am pretty sure the culprit is excessive treat giving. I have gone through what should have been 2 months worth of training treats in half that time. I think I'll have to make sure everyone is on the same page.

When you talk about structure exercise what do you mean? We usually take her to our nature center and walk the main trail right now. They have benches for resting and water. If it's cool we may take a short run along the edge of the pond. She loves to swim in the shallows. When she is older I would love to teach her to run with a bike.

2.5 is actually quite a lot of food. During heavy working periods my dogs might get that much. But generally 1.5 cups maintains summer weight.

OK we will cut her down. The puppy instructions on food amounts were confusing stating to double the amount you would feed and adult.