What kind of leash do you use?

Guardian_Zer0

I'm curious to see what everyone is using.

Right now I've been using a retractable leash for Willow when we go on walks so she can have room to run when we get to the football field near my home.

I'm also about to start using a harness on her so I know I'm going to need something a little stronger. Has anyone used the heavy braided kong leashes? Those seem to be the only ones I can find in our local pet shop but I'm not sure how long they will hold up.

Thanks,

D & Willow

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I'm curious to see what everyone is using.

Right now I've been using a retractable leash for Willow when we go on walks so she can have room to run when we get to the football field near my home.

I'm also about to start using a harness on her so I know I'm going to need something a little stronger. Has anyone used the heavy braided kong leashes? Those seem to be the only ones I can find in our local pet shop but I'm not sure how long they will hold up.

Thanks,

D & Willow

Wouldn't recommend a retractable lead for a husky they are too strong and will probably snap!

I used to have a Julius K9 harness for Astro, but he managed to back out of it. You can get an attachment that goes from the harness to the collar so if they back out, they are still attached by their collar. Julius K9 is a good brand, the harnesses are really strong and it has a handle on the top so if you were down a lane or if an unfriendly dog approached and you had to control her better you can hold the handle.

I've now got Houdini ultra harnesses made by www.indi-dog.co.uk I think she does worldwide shipping if you're not in UK :) all her products have a life long guarantee, and she owns huskies so makes them strong enough! We also get 10% discount using code INDI-HUSKY, and she also makes the attachments going from the collar to the harness if you wanted one

The Houdini ultra has 3 straps going round so they can't back out

4c0c4586c6ca76d33b5d37316adacfb9.jpg

Lead wise, Red Dingo are a really good brand, it's a really strong clasp. I've ordered 2 slider leads from Indi dog, they are adjustable so you can have it on shorter for street walking and longer for open spaces.

I've also got a 50ft horse lunging lead to use on the beach. Obviously with it being for horses it's really strong :)

Mine generally stay on Dogmatic as over 12st hauling me is only good on a harness up a steep bank. The head collars maintain a low pull only if at all...and I maintain control. They're both pretty responsive on voice commands - today was a first out on my own feet - knees need building up to much stronger now since left Anterior Cruciate Ligament ruptured last Oct in an accident on Husky Camp.. trouble is I've just had it confirmed my right ACL was of concern 17 yrs ago incl a big medial tear and a lateral 'bucket' tear. Had an arthroscopy to sort this in Dec 2006.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

2a32d7c324ad5a5b5488e7ef69a76459.jpg

00c1a356e7dfb5ae3a3a7907ed1c5ac4.jpg25c70ce0aa75fd1f39e34bfb748bfc4a.jpg
Walking nicely for me..

I use either two ROK stretch leads or a two dog gangline on a med strong bungee as pictured. Takes up sudden yanks - if I'm not paying attention and as I'm hands free I can haul them back fast for close-up control.
They are both in their Hooner 'H' harnesses here but run in rig in DC Zeros.

I will definitely be looking into indi-dog now. Hopefully shipping to the US won't be bad but from the way Rachael talks it's well worth it!

The retractable was just in the home already and I figured it wouldn't be the best choice overall. Right now she's staying at my side as we walk but when we get the the park or field she's ready to run around.

Thank you all for the info it's much appreciated.

Make sure the park is SECURE for your off lead husky - after 10 - 11 months she will run.. and run.. and run..
Away. It's in their genes.
Otherwise find a secure off lead area.

I have used today used the 10 m retracktable on my 2 and if you know how strong my Bindi can be then you have no worries, I will only use mine for swimming and not for general walking...and attached to a K9 julies harness...

i have placed a new order with Indi-Dog for a custom 2 in one lead (have 2 already from her) but this time with a bungee bit in the single lead...

Make sure the park is SECURE for your off lead husky - after 10 - 11 months she will run.. and run.. and run..
Away. It's in their genes.
Otherwise find a secure off lead area.

I don't quite agree with this. My husky is very reliable off leash. It's amazing what time and training get you. They aren't all the same.

I don't quite agree with this. My husky is very reliable off leash. It's amazing what time and training get you. They aren't all the same.

I suggest you read my post in main chat called letting huskies off lead. If you think that a bit of training will override over 10000 years of instinct I'm afraid you're very much mistaken and you're probably going to have a nasty shock one day! Every responsible husky owner and every husky organisation will tell you not to let your husky off lead

Yeah my friend thought the same , put in so much time and training with her dogs n they were amazing then one day only one came back , it's really not worth the risk

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Honestly we have two sturdy but regular style nylon leashes with the loop hand hold which I like for security of controlling them if they see a squirrel etc. I was thinking about getting a couple new ones soon.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, amyf27 said:

Honestly we have two sturdy but regular style nylon leashes with the loop hand hold which I like for security of controlling them if they see a squirrel etc. I was thinking about getting a couple new ones soon.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Ind-Dog has made and is making a custom 2 in 1 lead for my 2 and I must say I love it, pic attached, all extra handles and everything and the best thing is if you want more handles or in different places, more rings or different colours she can do this.. 

58aac2bf62491_2in1.thumb.jpg.e0486c146902f29517c00921facf4d22.jpg

I have asked for the ring at the end of the single lead so that i can clip it to my walking belt...

and no tangles leads or arms LOLOL

Hmm.. it's your dogs life.. and I know there are a very few rare huskies that do come on recall.

I and many many others with this breed have either lost or had near misses with our Huskies (and mine do EVERYTHING RIGHT at home but the prey drive is highest outside...and they are deaf!) It's in their genetic makeup for thousands of years..

Just saying.. already four pets shot I know of that were off lead and

.. run over

.. shot by farmers x 2

.. put down - after found to have mauled/ harassed pregnant ewes - killed lambs.

Just saying.

Archived