Escaping Husky Advice!

TheIcePhoenix

large.58c6647c1aa29_1198.jpg.8dc48308637198de29f6e28e25063f19.jpg

My Husky Titan is 1 year and 2 months and He runs away  randomly (not always) when someone forgets to close a door (that being my brothers 8 year old son) and he wont respond to my commands or treats or his toys and makes me chase after him through the dense woods and across roads but mostly wooded hills on someone else property where they often exercise their gun rights on property. MY Husky Ignores me completely when on the run and strangers that see him just laugh and rarely will anyone even help (lady is standing at her door my dog comes trotting up to her and she does nothing to help me, this sort of thing happens often) I just dont know what to do. I have him chipped and all tags on him but what do i do about this behavior. I am terribly worried that one day I will not find him and he will get himself shot or run over (around here getting shot is a high probability.) MY family doesn't even help me find him when its 95% of the time one of their faults when he gets loose but my friends woh live a half mile away with no car will run over and help me find him. Im a grown man and I cried when I lost him the first time and couldn't get him (Titans my best buddy after all). the woods are too dense to try and fallow him into as well and its very steep and muddy a lot to make it worse. He hates being outside alone too long so he eventually comes back to the street and thats how we always catch him. the other day he broke his CHAIN collar right off!!! and thus didnt have tags or anything and it was 4AM! I am desperate to curb these actions because it will cost us both dearly at some point if he doesn't stop and that would break my heart. He knows commands (sit, stay, lay down, shake and off and leave it) but not come despite all my efforts and he also will ignore ALL commands if he doesn't feel like doing what I want from him. mostly he will obey if he gets caught stealing food and knows he is in trouble lol or if I grab his face and force him to look at me and tell him directly what I want. Its not my house so I cannot add a fence to the yard or I would do so immediately. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Hi there unfortunately you have a breed who has pretty much no recall and if they get out all they will do is run and run as you have found out!

I'm not sure what to suggest really, his life is at risk and if the people you live with don't really care then that's a big issue.

You need to make a decision based on what is right for your dog

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Sadly huskies are not good dogs to have off the lead , so u really need to find something that will hold him and make sure he's always supervised so no one leaves the door open again , u could also get him a dog run for when he's outside if u can't fence the garden

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

You have far more chance of getting your family to listen than you do Titan.    He is after all just following the natural instincts of the husky breed.    I have a similar problem with my husband  -  he continues to put the wheelie bins next to the fence gates  -  despite my saying that I have caught Marley twice trying to use them as stepping stones to get over the gates  -  he is 15 months old and I am afraid the next time he tries he will succeed.

If your family do not care enough to look after his welfare then you must seriously consider what to do next  -  what is best for Titan  -  living a life continually chained up  -  or you contacting your landlord and asking permission to put up secure fencing so you do not lose your dog.   I see no reason for him to object, after all it would offer HIS property more protection and you are improving HIS property.

If permanent fencing is not an option - there should be no reason why you cannot put up temporary fencing  -  like the aluminium builder's panels  11ft x 6ft high  -  they wont look as pretty but is a way round your problem.   Because it is a temporary structure you should not have any planning issues, although I recognise all countries have their own regulations.    Your only other option appears to move to a house where you can secure the garden.

Have you thought of automatic door closers - we used to have them in the hotel ??

I agree with the others, unfortunately there isn't a way to train Titan to come back when he gets loose.  Huskies are escape artists, and with mine I have to make sure to guard the door, or better yet make sure they are in a different room when people are coming and going.  My suggestion is have a long talk with your family, and make sure they know that they can't just leave the door open so that he can run out.  If they won't cooperate then I would find another living situation.  Either that, or somehow try to figure out a way where he is not at risk of getting loose.  If you have to tether him outside, I'd have a heavy duty stake and a wire that is made for tying dogs out, and also not to leave him unattended. 

Like it was said, it isn't something you can usually train out of a husky as they are more independent than most dog breeds and it's instinctive for them.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with the others, unfortunately there isn't a way to train Titan to come back when he gets loose.  Huskies are escape artists, and with mine I have to make sure to guard the door, or better yet make sure they are in a different room when people are coming and going.  My suggestion is have a long talk with your family, and make sure they know that they can't just leave the door open so that he can run out.  If they won't cooperate then I would find another living situation.  Either that, or somehow try to figure out a way where he is not at risk of getting loose.  If you have to tether him outside, I'd have a heavy duty stake and a wire that is made for tying dogs out, and also not to leave him unattended. 
Like it was said, it isn't something you can usually train out of a husky as they are more independent than most dog breeds and it's instinctive for them.

I ended up getting him a cowbell for when he gets loose and inside I keep him leashed to a 30-foot lead that gives him the run of the house still but if someone leaves the door open he can't get away I'm also going to get him and led vest that he will wear at night when I put him out in case he gets loose at night

Sent from my SM-G935P using Husky Owners mobile app

I built my fence to 8' I've closed all areas he could possible try and break thru. I also strung a wire cable with a 1" pvc tubing around it inside a 3" pvc tube. This way if he does try it rolls back so he cannot climb over. It was a little over kill but we are talking about escape artists and he's our baby:)

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I built my fence to 8' I've closed all areas he could possible try and break thru. I also strung a wire cable with a 1" pvc tubing around it inside a 3" pvc tube. This way if he does try it rolls back so he cannot climb over. It was a little over kill but we are talking about escape artists and he's our baby:)
I got this idea from a picture I saw online so I can't take credit. This is what I found. I'll post pictures of mine completed soon.

Smart_Select_Image_2017-03-30-17-34-18.pngscreen capture tool

Archived