Evo Dog food...

Ashley Osburn

It's not a food I would feed a puppy, but would certainly consider it for an adult Husky . . . IF: That adult Husky was a working dog or a highly active dog. The percentage of protein and fat is extremely high. That's OK, if the dog is active enough to be able to utilize the protein and fat. The calorie count is also quite high. So you'd need to keep a watch on the weight of your dog and trim back if necessary. I also don't know if this food would be better suited for say a Malamute, as opposed to a Husky, since Mals are quite a bit larger than Huskies, and this food seems to be better suited for a larger breed.

At any rate, http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com gave it a 6-star rating, which is their highest. It is a dog food that uses high quality ingredients, and it is grain-free which is a big plus.

I agree with Mazz it's too much protein for a pup. Also dogs get their energy strictly from protein and fat not carbohydrates like some think. Unless you are taking your dog for a very very rigorous exercise (sledding, running long distances etc) I wouldn't feed this. There are other great grain free dog foods that have less protein such as Taste of the Wild and Wellness Core.

The guy at the holistic pet center said it should be ok for the pups. They are almost 7 months now and i have them on a mix of dog foods for now. I was reading online that huskies should have almost a 60 percent protein diet. And Evo seems to have the highest protein rate i have found yet.

Huskies need to be on puppy food until they are at about 1 year of age. They continue to grow and are not fully grown until they are almost 2. Their growth rate will have slown to a crawl at 1 year.

Often times, the people who work in pet stores, near the pet food, are not employees of the pet store, but employees of the dog food companies. They are there to push certain brands of dog food. I'm not saying that is the case here, but just to point out that you have to do your research so you go in armed with knowledge.

You can do what you think is best. In my opinion, the Evo is not a good choice for a puppy, and questionable for a non-working Husky. Over feeding of protein in a Husky, during a growth period, can later lead to skeletal problems, such as hip displaysia. I don't mean to alarm you, but this is not something that you want to take lightly. Your dogs will still attain their destined size, but feeding them too much protein will accelerate their growth, and this can lead to the development of hip displaysia. Besides, puppies need much more than just protein to properly develop their eyes, internal organs, bones, skin, brain, the list goes on.

Most people don't own Huskies, and so they don't know much specific information about the breed. You have to be selective where you source your information from. A little bit of information such as "huskies should have almost a 60 percent protein diet", may be fine for an Alaskan Husky, living in Alaska, and taken out for a twenty mile sled run every day, but it is way too much protein for a 7 month still-growing Siberian Husky puppy.

Sorry if I came across harshly. I just hate to see you make a decision, that on the surface seems like it's the right one, but down deep, can have a dramatic negative effect on the long-term well being of your dogs.

I would mix it to taper off one food and introduce another. I would use the following ratios:

Day 1 - 3/4 old food + 1/4 new food

Day 2 - Same as Day 1

Day 3 - 1/2 old food + 1/2 new food

Day 4 - Same as Day 3

Day 5 - 1/4 old food + 3/4 new food

Day 6 - Dame as Day 5

Day 7 - All New Food

Oh boy. Loose stools could be from the high protein. If you are feeding her the same amount it's most likely way too much food. Here's what I would do.

Feed her 1/2 cup of steamed white rice mixed with a 1/4 cup of boiled chicken cut up, twice a day for two days. Also, pick up some plain yogurt, and give her a couple tablespoons a few times a day. Then start her on the new puppy food.

I would suggest a grain-free puppy food with 28 to 32% protein and about 12 - 15% fat. If you find one with whole grains, that's OK, just nothing with corn, corn millet, brewer's rice, or wheat. Something with two forms of rice is fine, as long as there's not any brewer's rice listed. Whole grain barley is also fine. Merrick, Wellness, TOTW, and even EVO make foods that are well suited. TOTW (Taste of the Wild) is an all stages of life food, so it is fine for puppies as well as adults. It's a bit less expensive than some other foods, but it's a bit more difficult to locate.

Will do, Thanks. Also added to your rep.

Good luck. Please post back and let us know how things work out.

EVO is a great food for adult dogs. I agree with Mazz I'd probably wait until your pup was close to a year before using EVO. It was one of my choices and actually my top choice at $60+ USD for a 30lbs. bag it was comparable to the Natural Balance I had Legend on. Legend is on Taste of the Wild right now and loves it. It also doesn't help that it runs a full $20 cheaper.