Husky needs help

alina

Hi,

Yesterday I went for a walk with Athos and he was bitten by nose by another dog. I heard that being bitten by the nose is very traumatizing for dogs. He got a scratch which is almost healed, but I wonder if this will have any negative repercussions. If the answer is yes please tell me what to do in order to prevent them. Now he doesn't seem depressed or something like that, the only problem is that he doesn't listen to me when we go for walks and he pulls me like I were a sleigh :)

10x

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi and welcome x one of my boys got a nasky deep cut from my other boy not long after they met, it did not affect him in any way, just carry on as normal if it's healing then forget it xxx

i also have a problem with one of my boys. he pulls like a train lol, i had to stop taking him for walks as he was way to strong for me, i got him a canny collar and that works great, i can walk him my self again now.

good luck xxxxx heres a canny collar xx

http://www.cannydogcollar.co.uk/

Blaze got ran at alot (never attacked bitten tho) but cuz he kept having dogs offlead run at him it has now had a negative effect even tho he has never been bitten - think its cuz a couple ov those times he was going thru fear stages - im not saying it will b the same for ur dog they dont normally seem bothered by 1 little thing but with blaze it was constant so hes got aggy

bings has been attacked 4/5 times that i can think ov and it hasnt affected him in away he is still the soft soppy sh*t he has always been :)

thank you all for your reply! now I'm not so stressed anymore. The person who told me that it is bad for animals to be bitten by the nose said that he didn't know to give details but he was sure that that was a really bad thing. So, you can imagine how scare I got since I don't have any experience with dogs. Thanks to you I relaxed.

I'm glad to be part of the pack :). I've read your posts on different topics and I found out a lot of things I didn't even imagine! You're of a great help for me :th_love::rose:

Miki was bitten on the nose as a pup by a yorshire terrier. she is more cautious with ears down,(can see it in the picture in gallery with my son) to humans and other dogs, on first contact but then is a normal husky pup and wants to play when realises there is nothing to fear. Maybe this has come from the nose bite??? it not something i mind i am pretty much the same in life when meet someone for first time till know they are ok maybe she just following my body language? She fine in herself tho. and deep down do think it just her nature how she is.

hope helpsbiggrin.gif

My first Sibe got into a fight with a Boxer, over a bitch in heat, and he was fine. The Boxer took a little chunk out of his ear, but he paid no intention to it. Healed in a day or so, and it didn't affect how he was with other dogs. He was actually fine with the Boxer a week or so later, when the bitch wasn't around.

The main thing is not to let it affect you. You don't wan't to be apprehensive/nervous next time you're approaching another dog. You're feelings will reflect how your dog reacts.

Practice, practice, practice having your dog walk with you and not against you. This has got to be one of the most important things as a husky owner. You want to enjoy walking your dog and not dreading the next pulling your arm off session. As a bonus, people and other dogs will be at ease when they see you're controlling your dog not vice/versa.

I know it's difficult. Pulling and being in front of you is hardwired into them, but it's a massive payoff in the end for you and your dog.

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

hi,

tomorrow i plan to go for a walk with him and I will let you know how the results. Yesterday and today we stayed home and played in the garden because it kept raining with cats and dogs. The weather forecast says that it won't rain :). I hope it doesn't lie because I miss going for walks with Athos.

I think his nose is healing o.k.; I saw him today burying his snacks with his nose :)

hi pack,

we've just come back from a walk and everything was o.k. he didn't pulled me anymore (i'm the only one who can walk him without being pulled by him; on the condition to let him walk in front of me:D) i guess things came back to normal - we walk for hours sniffing and peeing all the plants :D:D

• 1 month later...

Today something strange happened. There is a kind of park near the house we live and today there were some persons singing there with drums and trumpets and Athos was very scared and agitated I had to stay with him in the garden to hug and pet him. Do your sibes feel the same when they hear that kind of sounds? I must say that it was the first time he heard that kind of "music". Do happened to know why he was so scared? My bf laughed at the way he stayed closed to me, he refused to stay more that 10 cm away from me. Every time he is scared of something he comes close to me that's why I know that music scared him :(

For dogs with anxiety issues, I heard of RescueRemedy as a possible calming natural medication, and also Melatonin (which I use myself when I can't sleep) Plain Benadryl is another option to take a bit of the edge off. I used to work for a vet so that's pretty much what they recommended, and yes, try to ignore the scared behavior otherwise it will reinforce your baby to continue being afraid of the noise. In fact, if he has a favorite toy, bring it out and get him all excited about it at the slightest sign he might be afraid. That should take his mind off the fear.