Walking 2 Sibies

Paul

Hi everyone, havent been on here for a while due to various reasons, work realy busy, building work on house, laptop boke. But everything is good with Oscar, calmed down alot and is brilliant on the lead walking now, great with commands also. We are seriously thing of getting a new pup in the next few months as company for him though but i was thinking more into the future when the pup is fully grown, how do people walk their sibies, due to work, i walk oscar early in the morning and later in the night as i find he settles better in the night just after a walk, so it is dark and im not able to get a scooter and exercise them that way? i have seen the leader collars and have heard good things about them and also the walkie belts? what do people recommend?

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I only have one atm but am also gunna get a second when I can... I personally am gunna get me a walking belt with a couple of good bungee leads to take the jerk out of starting and stopping... Also if your regularly walking at night you wanna mabe look into getting a head strap light and make sure you and your dogs have some sort of high vis stuff on... you can get some nice high vis collars, harnesses and leads or you can actually get high vis coats for them (saw these in Pets at home the other day and thought what a good and cute idea! LOL) biggrin.gif

micha used to pull like mad, so we used to stop, and not set off again until she sat down, it took a while. suki was already well behaved, she was trained using a head control collar.

now if they pull i just give the lead a little very gentle tug and they stop pulling. however if i put them in harnesses they pull because they know they are allowed.

what ever method you adopt the key is to be consistent. good luck

Well I only have one atm but am also gunna get a second when I can... I personally am gunna get me a walking belt with a couple of good bungee leads to take the jerk out of starting and stopping... Also if your regularly walking at night you wanna mabe look into getting a head strap light and make sure you and your dogs have some sort of high vis stuff on... you can get some nice high vis collars, harnesses and leads or you can actually get high vis coats for them (saw these in Pets at home the other day and thought what a good and cute idea! LOL) biggrin.gif

That is a good idea! i never thought of that to be honest!

micha used to pull like mad, so we used to stop, and not set off again until she sat down, it took a while. suki was already well behaved, she was trained using a head control collar.

now if they pull i just give the lead a little very gentle tug and they stop pulling. however if i put them in harnesses they pull because they know they are allowed.

what ever method you adopt the key is to be consistent. good luck

That is what i have taught Oscar, and the sit and stay approach has worked realy well! inthe begining i was worried i would look dull stopping every couple of yards but it pays dividends in the end and he is very good for not pulling now! but i was more worried if for some reason the both of them decided to chase after somthing? and i lost a grip on the lead?

If I'm out walking my two at the same time I put their prong collars on. I keep one on each side of me. They have been taught long ago about the prong collars (individually) so they know that I expect good behaviour when they are on. If they do forget themselves and lunge out at something, the moment they hit the end of the leash they will get a correction from the collar. That is reminder enough to forget whatever they went after and return to proper position next to me. If they start focusing too much on something a light jingle with the leash that makes the chain of the collar rattle some is enough to bring their attention back to walking nice.

The important thing is that you set up the rules and stick to them! The biggest mistake people make is trying to allow the dogs to choose where they would like to walk in reference to you. That doesn't work out too well, only ends in tangles. You decide who walks where. Of course some dogs really have a strong preference to walk on a certain side and it is ok to allow them as long as then that stays consistent, not that you are changing up 3X in a walk. Just like in dogsledding, some dogs just "have" to be on a certain side or even position on the team or they simply will not run proper because they aren't comfortable. My mentor's dog Snapper absolutely must run on the left. With my boys, for walking OC is on the left and Ronan on the right. I can switch them up and do from time to time so they don't become reliant on the one side and remain easy-going. Sometimes I put both dogs on one side too. Ronan initially was very uncomfortable with this if he was the one in the middle. But its fun exercises that make them think and keeps walks interesting! Also allows you to maintain control in any situation! Lets say there is heavy traffic on a road you are walking on. You put the dogs on the opposite side of the cars because drivers can see you better, the dogs need to not only be ok with walking on that side of you, but also be ok with both of them being on that side.

Taking the two out together can often spark their competitive side too so make sure you are on your game as they may want to start to out-do each other.

If I'm out walking my two at the same time I put their prong collars on. I keep one on each side of me. They have been taught long ago about the prong collars (individually) so they know that I expect good behaviour when they are on. If they do forget themselves and lunge out at something, the moment they hit the end of the leash they will get a correction from the collar. That is reminder enough to forget whatever they went after and return to proper position next to me. If they start focusing too much on something a light jingle with the leash that makes the chain of the collar rattle some is enough to bring their attention back to walking nice.

The important thing is that you set up the rules and stick to them! The biggest mistake people make is trying to allow the dogs to choose where they would like to walk in reference to you. That doesn't work out too well, only ends in tangles. You decide who walks where. Of course some dogs really have a strong preference to walk on a certain side and it is ok to allow them as long as then that stays consistent, not that you are changing up 3X in a walk. Just like in dogsledding, some dogs just "have" to be on a certain side or even position on the team or they simply will not run proper because they aren't comfortable. My mentor's dog Snapper absolutely must run on the left. With my boys, for walking OC is on the left and Ronan on the right. I can switch them up and do from time to time so they don't become reliant on the one side and remain easy-going. Sometimes I put both dogs on one side too. Ronan initially was very uncomfortable with this if he was the one in the middle. But its fun exercises that make them think and keeps walks interesting! Also allows you to maintain control in any situation! Lets say there is heavy traffic on a road you are walking on. You put the dogs on the opposite side of the cars because drivers can see you better, the dogs need to not only be ok with walking on that side of you, but also be ok with both of them being on that side.

Taking the two out together can often spark their competitive side too so make sure you are on your game as they may want to start to out-do each other.

i have noticed that with Oscar if we are out for a walk as a family, he always has to be in front of everyone! and pulls uncontrolably if he is behind. As we are not able to go out as a family all the time i cant realy practice correcting him when he does it but i always do the sit and stay when we are out so want to try and curb this beofre we get another one so they are not competing with each other all the time! I might have to look into the prong collar also i think?

atm im walking blaze and sklya biggrin.gif on a double ended lead (ive got a pic ill upload l8a) abit like a coupler and they walk fine 2geva - tho blaze is nearly 18 months skyla is only 14 weeks so atm its not a problem - when she grows up it might b abit more difficult lol

i suppose though skyla will pick up on the training that Blaze has had in that time though so it shouldnt be so bad when she gets bigger?

I have a 15 week Husky (Koda) and a two year old white GSD (Echo) both are VERY draggy dogs into bushes/lamposts/dog poo etc

they get walked together and they are always going off in different directions and can be difficult to control. . .so... . .

This week we invested in two Halti collars and the difference is amazing. . .

Echo (GSD) took to the halti straight away and walked beautifully next to me with a slack lead.

Koda (Husky) started off throwing sommersaults, twisting around and just lying down legs spread (nope I'm not going nowhere. . attitude)

but after about half an hour and a good walk around the park Koda was walking nicely loose lead, head up/ears up/tail curled up, with a little trot on.

Also as we approached home we encountered another owner with a 6 month old GSD which launched out to the end of his lead barking his head off. . .

NOW Echo (our GSD) would normally leap into the fray barking and leaping up dragging me across the road to do battle or sniff bums whichever came first,

with the Halti as soon as she started to go, her head was turned and she simply subsided, aggression gone and sat beside me nicely while the other dog continued to

go mental.

To say I was gobsmacked at this turn of events well its like I'd got a whole new dog.

So the halti works for me, I can walk two very draggy dogs with thier leads tied together at the handles and hold them with ONE finger. . .just amazing.

I've tried using a coupler with my guys but what I didn't like was that if needed to, you can't work with just the one dog if one is misbehaving and the other is walking along fine. Also if they are wearing their prongs, if one dog balks the other ends up getting corrected for no reason at all. That being said I do know it works for some people as I make couplers and sell them often.

To free up my hands what I prefer instead is to use my "service dog" type leash which goes across my body that I make. This way both my hands are always free. If one dog gets a bit unruly I just grab the leash close to his collar and do whatever it is I need to.

I'm not much a fan of head collars simply because it is so easy to cause neck and spine damage with them.

My boys both pull like a dam train lol i walk my boys with extendable leads - one in each hand, i figure this way my arms should roughly over time, stretch so one isn't abmormally longer than the other laugh.gif

I also have a walking belt which i find useful if going somewhere crouded as they can't drag me about as much

2 words ...HOLD ON!!!!!!

kasha is very good at walking she doesnt pull....but kodah is always in a rush and i have to constantly correct him....but he walks slow as ever when on the way back home!!! today kodah saw a horse for the first time and was very eager to go up to it even if it ment dragging me!!!,, sibes are very strong dogs!! i've never walked a dog with as much power as kodah!!that why my kids cant walk him, they would be eating dirt!!!!

lol here's how to walk a nice calm sib with one that likes to pull like a train xxx

Photo014_800x600_1.jpg

the trai is Odin the calm one is Thor xxxx

kodah has been to obediant school and used to heel as a pup but we live in the woods so he is so distracted by everything that moves!

where can i buy a lead like that and what is it called!!! odin looks like kodah when i have to walk him, its a good workout walking kodah!